First Order Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a linear non-homogeneous ODE with non-constant coefficients. The solution involves rearranging the equation, multiplying both sides by an integrating factor, and integrating both sides to get the final solution of y = \frac{x^{5}}{3} + Cx^{2}. The correctness of the solution is verified by plugging it back into the original equation.
jegues

Homework Statement

[tex] xy^{'} - 2y = x^{5} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]e^{\int P(x)dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging the into the form,

[tex]y^{'} - P(x)y = Q(x)[/tex]

So,

[tex]y^{'} - \frac{2y}{x} = x^{4}[/tex]

Multiplying both sides by [tex] e^{\int P(x)dx} [/tex] or [tex]e^{-2\int \frac{dx}{x}}[/tex],

Since [tex]e^{-2ln|x|} = \frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{y^{'}}{x^{2}} - \frac{2y}{x^{3}} = x^{2} [/tex]

Integrating both sides,

[tex]\int\left( \frac{y^{'}}{x^{2}} - \frac{2y}{x^{3}}\right)dx =\int x^{2}dx [/tex]

Integrating the LHS should result in my integrating factor times y, [tex]e^{-2ln|x|}(y)[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}(y)[/tex]

So,

[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}(y) = \int x^{2}dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}(y) = \frac{1}{3} x^{3} + C[/tex]

Finally,

[tex]y = \frac{x^{5}}{3} + Cx^{2}[/tex]

Is this correct? (I don't have any type of solutions to check, so I thought I'd post)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why you did is correct.

This is a linear non-homogeneous ODE with non-constant coefficients, you solved it correctly with an integration factor.

Good job ! :)

P.S.: for future reference, you can check if your answer is correct by replacing y(x) and y'(x) with the answer and its derivative ;)
verify it. it should end up as 0=0, basically..

gomunkul51 said:
P.S.: for future reference, you can check if your answer is correct by replacing y(x) and y'(x) with the answer and its derivative ;)
verify it. it should end up as 0=0, basically..

I'll give verifying it a shot!

[tex]y = \frac{x^{5}}{3} + Cx^{2}[/tex]

[tex] y^{'} = \frac{5x^{4}}{3} + 2Cx[/tex]

Plugging into the original equation,

[tex] \frac{5x^{5}}{3} + 2Cx^{2} - \frac{2x^{5}}{3} - 2Cx^{2} = x^{5}[/tex]

[tex] x^{5} = x^{5} [/tex]

Thanks!

jegues said:
[tex]\int\left( \frac{y^{'}}{x^{2}} - \frac{2y}{x^{3}}\right)dx =\int x^{2}dx [/tex]

Integrating the LHS should result in my integrating factor times y, [tex]e^{-2ln|x|}(y)[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}(y)[/tex]

So,

[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}(y) = \int x^{2}dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}(y) = \frac{1}{3} x^{3} + C[/tex]

Just a little note on this part here (which is correct, I'm not saying it isn't)...

Setting, say, u = 1/x^2, we can see that u' = -2/x^3...

and so the LHS would equal u y' + y u'

which obviously equals (u y)' or (y/x^2)'

Just saying, although you probably already knew that. Just clarifying for anyone else who might read.

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a function to the function itself. It involves the first derivative of the function and is typically represented in the form dy/dx = f(x,y).

2. What are the applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations have various applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. They can be used to model physical systems such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand, and in biology to model growth and decay of populations.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

Solving a first order differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically, using methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. It can also be solved numerically using computer algorithms.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first order differential equation?

An ordinary first order differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial first order differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations have a single solution, while partial differential equations have a family of solutions.

5. How are first order differential equations used in modeling real-world systems?

First order differential equations are used in modeling real-world systems by describing the relationship between the rate of change of a system and its current state. By solving the differential equation, we can predict the behavior of the system over time, which can help us understand and control real-world phenomena.