What Does "Opaque" Mean in Metrology?

• Thread starter WaltLankor
  • Start date
In summary: This has clarified things a bit for me. In summary, the author of the metrology text said that focus detection instruments cannot be used to measure 'opaque' surfaces, as they require a finite amount of reflected light to function.
WaltLankor
I'm puzzled.
In an authoritative metrology text I read.
"Focus detection instruments cannot be used to measure 'opaque' surfaces"
as they require a finite level of reflected light to function.
Non transmittance being (to my understanding) the key definition of "opaque", I looked up the meaning of opaque in various places. A significant number of references give non transmittance and reflectance as the definition of an "opaque" surface.

Any definitive comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the "normal" definition of opaqueness excludes reflection at all.
For example, a good mirror is opaque, yet certainly reflects.

Indeed that was my understanding and I would have put the reference from the metrology test down to a misprint if I had not found several references quoting definitions for Opaque as being dependent on lack of reflectance.

Thanks for the reply.

When light is incident on a surface, in percentages :

Absorption + Reflection + Transmission = 100%

Opaque means that Transmission = 0%

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
When light is incident on a surface, in percentages :

Absorption + Reflection + Transmission = 100%

Opaque means that Transmission = 0%

Thanks
That is my understanding of the situation too.

Apparently Opacity can be defined as 'mass attenuation coefficient', which is the sum of scattered and absorbed light, so opacity can be a function of reflectance in effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opacity_(optics )

Anyway the author of the text in question has clarified the sentence quoted in my original post.
"Focus detection instruments cannot be used to measure 'opaque' surfaces"
Taking into account a contextual comment regarding focus detection instruments requiring a finite amount of light to be reflected into their detectors from the sample.
The intention of the queried comment was to distinguish between the measurability of opaque surfaces with differing reflectances, or perhaps differing combined levels of absorption and scattering.
So there you go.

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "opaque" mean in metrology?

In metrology, "opaque" refers to a material or substance that does not allow light to pass through it. This means that the material is not transparent or translucent and appears to be solid or impenetrable.

2. How is opacity measured in metrology?

Opacity is measured using a device called an opacity meter, which measures the amount of light that is able to pass through a material. The measurement is usually expressed as a percentage, with 0% being completely opaque and 100% being completely transparent.

3. What are some examples of opaque materials?

Some common examples of opaque materials include metals, wood, plastic, and paper. These materials do not allow light to pass through them and therefore appear solid and opaque.

4. Why is opacity important in metrology?

Opacity is an important factor in metrology because it can affect the accuracy of measurements. For example, if a material is opaque, it can block or reflect light, which can interfere with the measurement process. Measuring and controlling opacity is crucial in industries such as manufacturing, quality control, and environmental monitoring.

5. How is opacity used in quality control?

In quality control, opacity is used to ensure that products meet certain standards and specifications. For example, in the food and beverage industry, opacity is measured to ensure that packaging materials do not allow light to pass through, which could affect the quality and shelf life of the product. In the automotive industry, opacity is measured to ensure that windshields and windows meet safety standards for visibility.