Understanding the Holographic Principle

In summary, during a classical mechanics lecture, the question of whether there would be gravitational attraction between 2D masses was discussed. The answer given was that gravity is an illusion in 2D, connected to the holographic principle. While the online sources may be too complex, there are simpler explanations available and recommended sources for further information. The lecturer cited a physicist from Princeton who shares this belief, although it is still a debatable topic. A possible source for this stance is a New York Times article from 2010.
pythagoras88
Hi,

Today in a classical mechanics lecture, we were posed a question on whether there will be gravitational attraction between masses if the 2 masses were squashed into a 2D masses(so is flat). At first, i thought the force should still exist, since the force only depends on masses, so maybe can just do a surface integral instead of volume integral.

But, the answer given was that, gravity is an illusion that do not exist in 2D and the lecturer said this is linked to holographic principle.

Hmmm, the online sources seems to be a bit too esoteric for me, is there a simpler explanation for this? and, which book or online source should i refer to for more information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your lecturer actually stated that as a fact?

He quoted a physicist(i guess) from princeton that says that gravity is illusion, so i guess he kind of agree with him.

Is this stance still debatable?

pythagoras88 said:
He quoted a physicist(i guess) from princeton that says that gravity is illusion, so i guess he kind of agree with him.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/science/13gravity.html"

Is this stance still debatable?

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Holographic Principle is a concept in theoretical physics that suggests that all the information in a three-dimensional space can be encoded on a two-dimensional surface. This means that our perceived three-dimensional reality is actually just a projection from a two-dimensional source. This idea was first proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind in the 1990s and has since gained a lot of attention in the scientific community.

In the context of gravity, the Holographic Principle suggests that gravity is not a fundamental force but rather an emergent phenomenon from the interactions of particles on a two-dimensional surface. This means that in a 2D world, there would be no gravitational attraction between masses because there is no "space" for the force to act in.

To understand this concept better, think of a hologram. A hologram is a 2D image that appears to have depth and dimension because of the way light is reflected off of it. Similarly, the Holographic Principle suggests that our 3D reality is just a projection from a 2D source, giving the illusion of depth and dimension.

As for further resources, I would recommend reading books by Leonard Susskind or Juan Maldacena, who have both extensively studied and written about the Holographic Principle. You can also find many articles and videos online that explain this concept in more detail. I hope this helps to clarify the concept for you.

1. What is the Holographic Principle?

The Holographic Principle is a theory in physics that suggests the information describing a volume of space can be represented on a lower-dimensional surface. In other words, a 3-dimensional volume can be described by a 2-dimensional surface.

2. How does the Holographic Principle relate to the concept of a hologram?

The Holographic Principle gets its name from the way a hologram works - the information for a 3-dimensional image is encoded on a 2-dimensional surface. Similarly, the Holographic Principle suggests that the information for a 3-dimensional space can be encoded on a 2-dimensional surface.

3. What is the evidence for the Holographic Principle?

The Holographic Principle is supported by various theoretical and observational evidence. Some of the most compelling evidence comes from black hole physics, where the surface area of a black hole's event horizon is directly related to its entropy, or the amount of information it contains.

4. How does the Holographic Principle relate to the study of quantum gravity?

The Holographic Principle is closely related to the study of quantum gravity, which seeks to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is believed that the Holographic Principle may offer insight into the nature of space and time at a quantum level.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Holographic Principle?

While the Holographic Principle is still a theoretical concept, it has potential practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and information storage. Additionally, further exploration of the Holographic Principle may lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of our universe.