Is Momentum the Key Factor in Impact for Elastic Collisions?

• Thread starter KaneOris
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of impact and how it relates to impulse, momentum, and acceleration. The participants use examples to understand the calculations involved in determining impact and also mention the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in elastic collisions. One participant initially makes a mistake in their formula but eventually comes to the correct understanding.
KaneOris
Hey guys, I am a new member here and i don't know that much about physics so if this seems really obvious to you sorry, I am only 15!

Ohk here's my problem.
I was looking at some stuff on impact
Now impact is reliant on impulse yes?
Now if I(impluse) = F average * change in time
And impulse is = momentum
momentum is Mass * Acceleration, or delta v / delta t
So if a bird is traveling at a velocity of 10m/s with a mass of 10kg but has no acceleration and it collides with an aeroplane which is traveling at 80m/s with a mass of 12 tons with no acceleration does that mean there is no impact as there is no acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
When they collide each object undergoes acceleration - the bird more so than the airplane! :-)

Oh i see, it all makes sense now thnx

oh I am an idiot i see now, p = mv, not ma, ma is f... oh well i feel dumb now, should probably get my formulae right first

incorrect signs

Archimedes said:
from conservation of momentum and kinetic energy for elastic impacts we have:
[tex]m_1(V'_1-V_1)=m_2(V'_2-V_2)[/tex]
Not exactly. The net change in momentum is zero, so:
[tex]m_1(V'_1-V_1)= -m_2(V'_2-V_2)[/tex]
[tex]m_1(V'_1+V_1)(V'_1-V_1)=m_2(V'_2+V_2)(V'_2-V_2)[/tex]
Again, your signs are incorrect. If the collision is elastic (certainly not the case for the bird hitting the plane!) then KE is conserved, so:
[tex]m_1V'_1^2 + m_2V'_2^2 = m_1V_1^2 + m_2V_2^2[/tex]

1. How does cause and effect fit into this situation?

The concept of cause and effect is important in understanding how different elements interact with each other. In some situations, the cause may be obvious and in others, it may be more complex. It is important to carefully analyze the factors involved to fully understand how they contribute to the overall outcome.

2. What factors are influencing this situation?

There are many factors that can influence a situation, such as environmental factors, human behavior, and external events. Identifying and understanding these factors is crucial in making sense of a complex situation. It may also be helpful to consider the relationships and interactions between these factors.

3. Is there a logical explanation for this seemingly illogical situation?

Sometimes, what may seem illogical at first glance actually has a logical explanation. It is important to look beyond surface-level observations and consider all possible explanations before coming to a conclusion. Additionally, seeking out the perspective of others can help shed light on a complex situation.

4. How do we know if this makes sense or not?

Determining whether a situation makes sense or not can be subjective and depends on various factors such as personal beliefs, experiences, and knowledge. In a scientific context, it is important to rely on evidence and data to evaluate the validity of a situation. Conducting further research and seeking expert opinions can also provide valuable insights.

5. What can we learn from this situation?

In any situation, there is always something to be learned. It may be a new perspective, a better understanding of a concept, or a lesson for future similar situations. It is important to approach every situation with an open mind and willingness to learn in order to make sense of it and potentially gain valuable insights.