Civil Engineering or Mechanical for Patent Attorney

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential switch from a mechanical engineering degree to a law degree or civil engineering. The advice given leans towards sticking with mechanical engineering for its broad foundation and potential for patents, while also considering the benefits of an electrical engineering background for patent prosecution. The conversation also highlights the prevalence of patents in the mechanical engineering field compared to civil engineering.
boilerup12
I am a junior currently pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Recently, I decided to pursue a law degree after completing my Bachelor's degree. I am currently considering a switch to Civil Engineering, but I am not sure if this is a good decision. Does anyone have advice for me? I know civil engineering is acceptable, but is it a wise switch? Any advice would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Boilerup.
I am not a high-school graduate, let alone an Engineer, but I tend to think like a Mechanical Engineer and therefore recommend that approach. To me, it seems to be the basis of all other branches in the realm.

I was also on the patent law path, and even took the LSAT, until I realized I had my priorities mixed up in life. Mechanical engineering would be much better than civil, given that you will be patents with a mechanical basis, not anything dealing with scale of structures in civil engineering. That said, electrical engineering is arguably the most desirable technical background to have with regard to patent prosecution...so if I were you, I'd go for a background in EE.

Why are you considering a switch to civil engineering?

I think there is no doubt that the number of patents per year produced by mechanical engineering disciplines - especially those involved in mass production - is many many times greater than for civil / building simply because the latter tends to be one off.

Famous patents in civils such as the 'cats eye' were really mech eng driven.

Good luck in your future career.

1. What is the main difference between Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Civil Engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of large-scale infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Mechanical Engineering focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems, such as machines and engines.

2. How does a background in Civil or Mechanical Engineering prepare someone for a career as a Patent Attorney?

Civil and Mechanical Engineers are trained to think critically and solve complex problems, which are essential skills for a Patent Attorney. Additionally, both fields require a strong understanding of technical concepts and the ability to analyze and interpret data, which are also important in patent law.

3. Are there any specific areas of Civil or Mechanical Engineering that are particularly relevant to patent law?

Yes, there are several areas within both fields that are commonly involved in patent cases. For example, in Civil Engineering, patents may be related to the design of structures or construction methods, while in Mechanical Engineering, patents may cover inventions related to machines, tools, or processes.

4. Can someone with a degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering become a Patent Attorney without a law degree?

Yes, it is possible to become a Patent Attorney with a degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering. However, in order to practice patent law, individuals must also pass the patent bar exam, which requires a strong understanding of patent law and procedures. Many individuals in this field choose to pursue a law degree in addition to their engineering degree to gain a deeper understanding of the legal aspects of patent law.

5. What are the key skills and qualities that make a successful Patent Attorney with a background in Civil or Mechanical Engineering?

Some important skills and qualities for a successful Patent Attorney with a background in Civil or Mechanical Engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and a passion for both technical and legal concepts. It is also important to have a curiosity and willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and laws.