Impact force exerted on a rolling wheel drop from a height

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the impact force exerted on a wheel when it touches the floor from a height. The variables needed for the calculation include angular velocity, time, height, and mass. The individual asking the question is unsure of how to determine the initial vertical velocity and is seeking assistance. The potential use of an energy conservation method is also mentioned.
MechaMZ

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9964/impactforceonbike.png

A roller is rolling with a constant speed before and after the drop. How do i figure out the impact force exerted on the wheel when it just touch the floor from a height h?

Assume, angular velocity before and after dropping are equal, time taken (t) for the dropping motion, height (h=d), mass (m) are measured and known. Final vertical velocity is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

in the scenario, i need to determine the impact force (F). however, the initial velocity is an unknown since I've no idea how to determine it. I've tried to let initial vertical velocity as:

Vi=Vcenter of mass= r x w

However, i think it should not the right way as assume Vi=Vcenter of mass because the motion of rolling and the vertical velocity are 90 degree.

So how do i actually determine the initial vertical velocity in order to find out my impact force exerts on vertical direction?

thank you so much for your patience and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
or i should use an energy conservation method?

1. What is impact force?

Impact force is the force exerted on an object when it collides with another object or surface. It is the result of the change in momentum of the object due to the collision.

2. How is impact force calculated?

The impact force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration. In the case of a rolling wheel dropped from a height, the acceleration would be the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How does the height of the drop affect the impact force?

The impact force is directly proportional to the height of the drop. This means that the higher the drop, the greater the impact force will be.

4. What factors can affect the impact force on a rolling wheel?

The impact force on a rolling wheel can be affected by various factors such as the mass and shape of the wheel, the surface it is rolling on, and the angle at which it collides with the surface.

5. Can impact force be reduced?

Yes, impact force can be reduced by increasing the amount of time over which the collision occurs. This can be achieved by using materials that absorb energy, such as padding or shock absorbers.