The Physics of Rifle Bullets: Speed, Acceleration, & Position

In summary, based on the information given, the bullet is traveling at a speed of 450 meters per second when it leaves the barrel.
UrbanXrisis
The speed of a bullet as it travles down the barrel of a rifle towards the opening is given be the expression v=(-5.0*10^7)t^2 + (3.0*10^5)t, where v is in meters per second and t is in seconds. The acceleration of the bullet just as it leaves the barrel is zero.

(a) determine the acceleration and position of the bullet as a function of time when the bullet is in the barrel.

I multiplied everything by t to get the position equation: x=(-5.0*10^7)t^3 + (3.0*10^5)t^2

I divided everything by t to get the acceleration equation: a=(-5.0*10^7)t + (3.0*10^5)

is this thougth process correct?

(b) determine the length of time the bullet is accelerated.
you don't know the length of the barrel so is this possible?

(c) Find the speed at which the bullet leaves the barrel
based on question b

(d) what is the length of the barrel
based on question b as well

in need of need hits

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate to find the acceleration and integrate to find the position.

what does differentiate mean?

Differentiate means finding the derivative. I assumed from the stated problem that you probably have some calculus experience. If not then you may have to resort to graphing and finding the slope of the curve at several points to make a graph of acceleration.

for question B, I need to find the time, how would I do that?

[tex]a= 300000-100000000t[/tex]
[tex]0=300000-100000000t[/tex]
[tex]t=3/1000[/tex]

[tex]x=150000x^2-\frac{50000000x^3}{{3}}[/tex]
[tex]x=.9 meters [/tex]

For that one you have to integrate!

for the velocity question just plug in when you solved for time

I just found the derivative of the V for a and integrated V for x

how do you know acceleration is zero?

Easy way to find derivitave
take each chuck and do dervitiave of [tex]cx^n = ncx^{n-1}[/tex]
to integrate
take
[tex] bx^n = (n+1)x= c/(n+1)x^{n+1} [/tex]

where n is power
c is orignial coeffiecnt
x is variable

UrbanXrisis said:
The speed of a bullet as it travles down the barrel of a rifle towards the opening is given be the expression v=(-5.0*10^7)t^2 + (3.0*10^5)t, where v is in meters per second and t is in seconds. The acceleration of the bullet just as it leaves the barrel is zero.
You gave that to me in the problem

oh, that's right! So the speed of the bullet would just be m/s...9m/.003s?

I just found velocity for it usuing the original equation
you gave me
which gave a velocity of 450 m/s

wait...all I have to do is sub .003 into the original velocity equation to get 450m.s right?

btw the x distance i got was 0.9 meters not 9 meters

What is the physics behind the speed of rifle bullets?

The speed of a rifle bullet is determined by its initial velocity, which is typically determined by the force of the gunpowder explosion. The bullet's speed will decrease over time due to air resistance and gravity.

How does acceleration affect the trajectory of a rifle bullet?

The acceleration of a bullet is affected by various factors such as the shape of the bullet, the air resistance, and the gravitational pull. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences drag, which causes a decrease in acceleration and thus affects the trajectory of the bullet.

What is the role of position in the physics of rifle bullets?

The position of a rifle bullet is crucial in determining its trajectory and the impact it will have upon hitting a target. The position of the bullet is affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and external forces like wind and air resistance.

How does the weight of the bullet impact its speed and trajectory?

The weight of a bullet can impact its speed and trajectory in several ways. A heavier bullet may have a slower initial velocity, but it will maintain its speed and trajectory better due to its increased momentum. However, a lighter bullet may have a higher initial velocity, but it will be more affected by air resistance and may lose speed and accuracy over distance.

What is the role of rifling in the physics of rifle bullets?

Rifling refers to the spiral grooves inside the barrel of a rifle that cause the bullet to spin as it travels through the barrel. This spin helps stabilize the bullet in flight, making it more accurate and reducing the effects of external forces such as wind. The spin also helps to increase the bullet's range and speed. Additionally, rifling can also affect the bullet's trajectory and impact depending on the direction and rate of spin.