Mass and springs problem

In summary, the frequency of oscillation of a block attached to two springs with spring constants k1=280 N/m and k2=260 N/m and mass m=14 kg is given by the equation frequency = square root of (3k/m), where k is the combined spring constant of the two springs. The forces on the block from the springs can be calculated by taking into account the displacement of each spring.
smb62
suppose that the two springs have different spring constants k1=280 N/m and k2=260 N/m and the mass of the object is m=14 kg. Find the frequency of oscillation of the block in Hz.

http://www.physics.umd.edu/rgroups/ripe/perg/abp/think/oscil/mos.htm
the first picture on this site is what the problem looks like. Its a mass between two springs that are attached to walls.

i know that angular frequency equals the square root of k/m. but i don't know how to do it when there are two springs involved. Please help Asap. Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Let your origin be at where both springs has their rest length.
If you displace the box a distance "x", what are the forces (with direction) acting on it from either box?

arildno said:
Welcome to PF!
Let your origin be at where both springs has their rest length.
If you displace the box a distance "x", what are the forces (with direction) acting on it from either box?

So if i have F1= -kx = -280x and F2= 260x do i then add them ? if so i would get Ft= -20x ...then should i use -20 as my value for k? and substitute it into the equation that i said before...where frequency equals the square root of (k divided by m)?

THanks so much for your help by the way...this forum is a wonderful idea and i am definitely going to spread the word!

No that is incorrect!
Let the rest lengths be [tex]L_{1},L_{2}[/tex]
For clarity, "x" be a positive number.
Then, the new length of spring 1 is [tex]L_{1}+x[/tex]
Hence, [tex]F_{1}=-k(L_{1}+x-L_{1})=-kx[/tex]
Let's look at spring 2:
If spring 2 had been lengthened by a positive amount "y" (dragged out to the left), then, the force from it would drag the block to the right (the positive direction).
Hence, for positive displacement of spring 2 "y", [tex]F_{2}=2ky[/tex]
Now, setting y=-x (spring 2 is actually shortened), we get:
[tex]F_{2}=-2kx[/tex]

Hence, total force F on block is:
[tex]F=F_{1}+F_{2}=-3kx[/tex]

1. What is a mass and springs problem?

A mass and springs problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of a mass attached to one or more springs. It is commonly used to study simple harmonic motion and oscillations.

2. How do you solve a mass and springs problem?

To solve a mass and springs problem, you need to use the equation F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. You also need to apply the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

3. What is the difference between a mass and springs problem and a simple harmonic motion problem?

A mass and springs problem is a specific type of simple harmonic motion problem that involves a mass attached to a spring. In other words, the mass and springs problem is a real-world application of simple harmonic motion.

4. Can a mass and springs problem be solved analytically?

Yes, a mass and springs problem can be solved analytically using mathematical equations and principles. However, in some cases, numerical methods may be needed to find a solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of a mass and springs problem?

Mass and springs problems have many real-world applications, such as studying the motion of a mass attached to a spring in a car's suspension system, analyzing the movement of a pendulum, or investigating the vibrations of a guitar string.