Force between parallel conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the force of attraction between parallel currents and its applications. It is mentioned that this force is quite small and has limited practical applications. Some examples of its applications include electromagnets, motors, and eddy currents. However, the force is more of a study exercise and is not commonly used in real-world applications.
Dream.girl7
I have read recently about force of attraction between parallel currents and was wondering that as the force of attraction is quite small when defining an ampere... so are there any of its applications...? :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dream.girl7 said:
I have read recently about force of attraction between parallel currents and was wondering that as the force of attraction is quite small when defining an ampere... so are there any of its applications...? :shy:

Electromagnets, motors, etc.

actually these are applications of one powerful magnetic field and one magnetic dipole.
I don't know any application of force between two wires, i think it is completely educational and a bit historical.

yeah.. you are right about electromagnets and motors.. but there must be some some application of this force being used.. or better, some application to prevent this force between parallel conductors... for example..in eddy currents where to prevent the loss of energy due to these currents we use laminations of metal separated by an insulating material

actually, i think it did its time, the very first professional experiment that lead people to believe existence of magnetic force so magnetic field,(the experiment of Ampere's about that force). It is too small to be applied and so small that it is never a problem like eddy currents.
and besides i don't think it can be thought seperately, after all it is a force that is by a magnetic field and a current, if you think so, motors are also an application of it, magnetic field is there is produced by nothing but a lot of currents we can think it as a strong current, but i thought you ask spesifically the equation F=I1I2(mu)/2(pi)r so i was against gneill.

yes..i asked specifically about attraction between parallel currents..
i know the force is too small, but i just wanted to know...
yeah i agree with you.. it did its time and cannot be applied or be a problem...

thanks gneill and sigmaro for your help..:)

the textbook section on the force between two current conductors is probably just an extension of the magnetic force on a charge with the intention of being more of a study exercise than application oriented.

ya there r quite a lot of applications of these particularly in most of the electronic gadgets u see arnd urself...

1. What is the force between two parallel conductors?

The force between two parallel conductors is known as the electromagnetic force, or Lorentz force. It is the result of the interaction between the magnetic fields produced by the flow of current through the conductors.

2. What factors affect the force between parallel conductors?

The force between parallel conductors is affected by the distance between the conductors, the current flowing through the conductors, and the direction of the current in each conductor. It is also affected by the permeability of the materials surrounding the conductors.

3. How do you calculate the force between parallel conductors?

The force between parallel conductors can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two conductors, L is the length of the conductors, and d is the distance between them.

4. What is the direction of the force between parallel conductors?

The direction of the force between parallel conductors is perpendicular to both the direction of the current in the conductors and the direction of the magnetic fields produced by the current. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, with the force acting in the direction of the palm.

5. How does the force between parallel conductors affect the behavior of electric circuits?

The force between parallel conductors can cause wires in an electric circuit to move, leading to disruptions in the flow of current and potential damage to the circuit. It is also responsible for the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field can induce a current in a nearby conductor.