Solve These Brain Teasers and Boost Your Mind with Ann

• Thread starter lrandf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary: You would have to pull out one of the books so that the pages are face-out on your work surface, then start eating from the first page of the book you removed to the last page of the book you removed. If you eat straight through to the last page of the book, then the total distance covered would be equal to the height of the book (in inches). If you eat through the covers, then the total distance covered would be 1/6th of the height of the book (in inches).
lrandf
Please someone help me with these brain teasers, Thanks! I have try to answer these problem, but I don't know whether they are right or wrong. PLEASE HELP! :cry:

A hill is one mile from the bottom to the top and then one mile from the top to thebottom. A person drives a car from the bottom to the top going 30 MPH. How fast does the person have to drive the car down the hill inorder to average 60 MPH fro the entire trip?

My answer is 90MPH

There are four volumes of Shakespeare on the shelf. The pages of each volue are exactly two incles thick. The covers are each one-sixth of an inch thick. A bookworm started eating at page 1 of Volume I and ate straight through to the last page of Volume IV. What distance did the worm cover?

My answer is 9 1/3

Ann :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think those are the right answers.

For the first one the calculations are something like (30+x)/2 = 60

So according to that x ( the speed that she would have to go down the hill ) is 90 mph.

For the second one the worm eats through 6 covers ( 2 on each side of the 4 volumes minus the 2 covers of the first and last volumes ) and 4 sets of pages.

So the total distance would be ( 6*1/6)+ (4*2) = 9

Last edited:
Irandf, both your answers are incorrect.

The second answer is smaller than 8 inches...try it and see.

lrandf said:
A hill is one mile from the bottom to the top and then one mile from the top to thebottom. A person drives a car from the bottom to the top going 30 MPH. How fast does the person have to drive the car down the hill inorder to average 60 MPH fro the entire trip?

huh! the person has to drive REALLY REALLY REALLY very fast! but according to STR, he won't be on time, though :)

spoiler with the white:

there two equal parts of the road: first and second, both of length L.
The first part takes the time of: t1=L/v1,
while the second: t2=L/v2. We have to calculate v2.
As the mean velocity is vmean => vmean=2L/(t1+t2)
Thus: v2=1/(2/vmean-1/v1). in our case v2=oo

lrandf said:
There are four volumes of Shakespeare on the shelf. The pages of each volue are exactly two incles thick. The covers are each one-sixth of an inch thick. A bookworm started eating at page 1 of Volume I and ate straight through to the last page of Volume IV. What distance did the worm cover?

My answer is 9 1/3

how are those books standing?
if like this:
[1][2][3][4] then the answer is not only < 8 (as Gokul wrote), but also < 5 :)

Hemmul, you reveal too much (but I disagree with you that it's < 5. Did you mean <= 5 ?) ! :smile: I think these problems were actually homework, this is a double-posted thread.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Hemmul, you reveal too much (but I disagree with you that it's < 5. Did you mean <= 5 ?) ! :smile: I think these problems were actually homework, this is a double-posted thread.

actually - yes :) i wanted to write something like <5.0001... but decided that it will do...
argh... i really don't watch for double-postings... probably it's already too late to delete my posts, so i'll just take into the account "homework questions" for future :wink:

Ha ha...if it's anything like my bookshelf, they are stacked like this:
_
=
=
=

In which case Kazimo got it right. :rofl:

But not if they are stacked like this:
_
=
=
=

My bookshelves have a combination of horizontal (the majority) and vertical (when I get lazy) stacks. :approve:

lrandf said:
Don't forget the mile up and down totals 2 miles

Sorry if I appear slow - but how would that equal 5 inches if it is [1][2][3][4]
To eat through the pages of 1,2,3,4 is 8 inches. To eat through the covers is 1 which makes 9.

Huh? What am I missing?

**Sorry - I just reread the question and realized where I went wrong. My case would only apply if we stacked our books back to front.**

Last edited:
You're missing where the first page of [1] and the last page of [4] are located.

If you actually tried this with books, you'll have no trouble seeing this.

1. What are brain teasers and how can they help?

Brain teasers are puzzles or riddles that require critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve. They can help improve cognitive abilities such as memory, concentration, and creativity.

2. How often should I do brain teasers to see results?

The frequency of brain teaser practice varies for each individual. It is recommended to do a few brain teasers every day to see improvements in cognitive abilities over time.

3. Can brain teasers help prevent cognitive decline?

While brain teasers can help keep the mind active and improve cognitive abilities, they are not a guaranteed way to prevent cognitive decline. It is important to also engage in other activities such as exercise and a healthy diet to maintain cognitive health.

4. Are there different levels of difficulty for brain teasers?

Yes, there are brain teasers of varying levels of difficulty. Some may be more challenging and require more advanced problem-solving skills, while others may be suitable for beginners.

5. Can brain teasers be used for educational purposes?

Yes, brain teasers can be used as a fun and engaging way to teach various subjects and concepts. They can also help students develop critical thinking skills and improve their overall academic performance.