Fahrenheit 451 and activation energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature at which paper burns (fahrenheit 451) and the factors that influence this reaction, such as the activation energy and the Arrhenius equation. The participants also mention the autoignition temperature of paper and the experimental determination of the numbers needed for predicting reaction temperatures. There is also a mention of a potential mistake in the numbers.
NeilWallace
I know from the movie that paper burns at fahrenheit 451. I guess this refers to the activation energy paper and oxygen require to react into CO2 and water.

I have been trying to understand the Arrhenius equation which I think is the key to predicting at what temperature a reaction will take place but I don't understand what numbers you plug into predict the temperature say methane and oxygen will react CH4 and O2 can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
451 deg F is well too low to start paper burning. Not that it matters much.

Numbers you need are determined experimentally, you may be able to find them in handbooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
451 °C = 844 °F

I am not saying someone made a NASA style mistake, but numbers are suggestive.

I can provide a response to your question about Fahrenheit 451 and activation energy. Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which paper will burn, which is a result of the activation energy required for the reaction between paper and oxygen to occur. Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy needed for a reaction to take place. In the case of paper burning, the activation energy is provided by the heat source, such as a match or a flame.

The Arrhenius equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the effect of temperature on the rate of a reaction. It states that as temperature increases, the rate of a reaction also increases. In order to predict the temperature at which a reaction will occur, you need to know the activation energy for that specific reaction. This value can be determined through experiments or can be found in scientific literature.

In the case of methane and oxygen reacting to form carbon dioxide and water, the activation energy would depend on the specific conditions of the reaction, such as the concentration of the reactants and the presence of a catalyst. This is why it is important to have a specific value for the activation energy in order to accurately predict the temperature at which the reaction will occur.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between Fahrenheit 451 and activation energy, and how the Arrhenius equation can be used to predict reaction temperatures. If you have further questions, I would recommend consulting a chemistry textbook or speaking with a chemistry expert for more in-depth understanding.

1. What is the significance of the title "Fahrenheit 451"?

The title "Fahrenheit 451" refers to the temperature at which paper ignites and burns. In the novel, books are banned and burned by the firemen, symbolizing the suppression of knowledge and ideas in society.

2. How does the concept of activation energy relate to the novel?

Activation energy refers to the minimum amount of energy needed for a chemical reaction to occur. In the novel, the society is controlled by the government and individuals are not allowed to think critically or question authority. This idea of suppression of thoughts and ideas can be seen as a barrier or "activation energy" for individuals to take action and stand up against the oppressive government.

3. What is the role of technology in "Fahrenheit 451"?

Technology is used as a tool for censorship and control in the novel. The government uses advanced technology, such as the Mechanical Hound and the parlor walls, to monitor and manipulate the citizens. This further contributes to the suppression of independent thinking and creativity.

4. How does the character of Montag evolve in the novel?

At the beginning of the novel, Montag is a loyal fireman who enjoys his job of burning books. However, as he begins to question the society and his own beliefs, he undergoes a transformation and becomes more rebellious and curious. He ultimately becomes a symbol of resistance and hope for change.

5. What is the message that Ray Bradbury is trying to convey through "Fahrenheit 451"?

Bradbury's novel serves as a warning against the dangers of censorship, suppression of knowledge, and the reliance on technology. It emphasizes the importance of critical thinking, individuality, and the power of books and ideas in shaping society. It is a call to action to protect our freedom of thought and to resist oppressive forces that seek to control us.