Asking for advices on assigned textbook on modern physics

In summary, this person's university provides a text that can be borrowed from the library, and it is not required for the course.
Ashuron
I am going to take an intro modern physics course which includes these topics in syllabus:
-intro to relativity & quantum theory
-Schroedinger equation
-particle/wave duality
-statistical physics: Bose and Fermi distribution

My assigned textbook is Concepts of Modern Physics by Arthur Beiser:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072448482/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyone got experience with the book? Is it worth buying?
Even better, suggestions of another book at this level?

Some backgrounds, I am in my sophomore year,
I must take a linear algebra class and multi calculus before the course itself.
The course also required me to take an ODE course together with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does it even matter if it's worth buying? Generally if you are assigned a textbook for a course it's in your best interest to buy it to make studying from it less of a hassle.

I am sorry..
but what I mean is I can always borrow the book from the library..

Ashuron said:
I can always borrow the book from the library..

What happens if several people from your class want to borrow the book at the same time? :smile:

For several years, I taught a course that used Beiser. It's OK, but it's at a lower level than some others, and doesn't have as much detail. I'm surprised by your math pre- and co-requisites. We required only basic differential and integral calculus as prerequisite. The book introduces partial derivatives etc. as needed, and uses little or no linear algebra.

I've also used https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...+zafiratos+dubson&x=13&y=11&tag=pfamazon01-20, which is thicker and has more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
never thought about that..:blushing:

jtbell said:
What happens if several people from your class want to borrow the book at the same time? :smile:

At my university, the text is simply recalled. In my complex analysis course, the professor mentioned Churchill's text as a supplement she was using and taking problems out of and that it was a good book (she said she didn't assign it as the class text because it was too expensive). She even mentioned it being in the library. I had already checked it out and went over it the summer before taking the course so I knew about it but had already used it. The course went on and towards the end, I came upon some stuff that was simply not explained well in the text or the lecture. So I go see if there was any chance no one had checked the text out.

Nope, no one. And students can have texts checked out until the end of the semester so clearly out of 50 students, no one bothered. I would bet the OP's library works the same way so why not just check it out? If you like the text, you can buy it later.

I second the Taylor book

Well..actually last year textbook is Taylor's one..
I can borrow the book from my senior
Thanks for the recommendation..

Actually what Pengwuino posted is also true for my school..
Most students do not bother to borrow the books from the library..:wink:

jtbell, I asked some of my seniors..
Those pre/co requisite actually will only be used for some derivations..
The class will still emphasized the physics...

Anyways..Thanks all..
Additional advices on tackling Taylor's book or Arthur's will also be helpful..

1. What is the best way to ask for advice on an assigned textbook on modern physics?

The best way to ask for advice on an assigned textbook on modern physics is to be specific about the areas or concepts you are struggling with. This will help the person giving the advice to provide more targeted and helpful responses.

2. Should I reach out to my professor or classmates for advice on my assigned textbook on modern physics?

It is always a good idea to reach out to your professor first for advice on your assigned textbook on modern physics. They have a deeper understanding of the material and can provide more comprehensive explanations. However, if you are struggling with a specific problem, your classmates can also be a helpful resource.

3. How can I effectively communicate my questions and concerns about my assigned textbook on modern physics?

When communicating your questions and concerns about your assigned textbook on modern physics, be clear and concise. Avoid vague or general statements. It can also be helpful to provide specific examples or passages from the textbook to help illustrate your confusion.

4. Is it okay to ask for advice on my assigned textbook on modern physics before attempting to solve the problems myself?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for advice on your assigned textbook on modern physics before attempting to solve the problems on your own. In fact, seeking guidance early on can help prevent misunderstandings and save you time in the long run.

5. What should I do if the advice I receive on my assigned textbook on modern physics is not helpful?

If the advice you receive on your assigned textbook on modern physics is not helpful, try reaching out to a different source such as a classmate, tutor, or online forum. It is also important to communicate with your professor and let them know the advice you received did not address your concerns. They may be able to provide additional resources or clarification.