Centripetal Force + Frictional Force + Braking

In summary: I have no clue as to what to do for this one, I'll work on this one after I finish the above.5. I have no clue as to what to do for this one, I'll work on this one after I finish the above.
Theorγ

Homework Statement

Assume that the driver of a car begins to brake his car when the distance from his car to a wall is 107 m. The mass of his car is 1400 kg, and its initial speed prior to braking is 35 m/s. The coefficient of static friction is 0.50, and assume that the car's weight is distributed evenly on the four wheels, even during braking. Based on the listed information, what are the following?:

1. What magnitude of static friction is needed to stop the car just as it reaches the wall?
2. What is the maximum possible static friction [tex]f_{s,max}[/tex]?
3. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40, at what speed will the driver hit the wall?
4. To avoid the crash, the driver chooses to turn the car so that it just barely misses the wall. What magnitude of frictional force would be required to keep the car in a circular path with the given distance and initial speed?
5. Is the required force less than [tex]f_{s,max}[/tex] so that a circular path is possible?

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{c} = v^{2}/r[/tex]
[tex]F_{net} = ma_{c}[/tex]
[tex]f_{s} = m \mu_{s} F_{N}[/tex]
[tex]v^{2} = v^{2}_{0} + 2 a (x - x_{0})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a long problem, but for a majority of the problem, I don't know how to solve. So I'll try to go through each of them as best as I can, and if I get really stuck, I hope you guys can give me hints.

1. For this one, I just used the frictional force equation:
[tex]f_{s} = 6860 N[/tex]

2. For this one, I thought that the maximum static friction was the same as above?

3. For this one, I used the kinematics equation above in conjunction with the following force equation:

[tex]f_{net} = -f_{k}[/tex]
[tex]m a = m \mu_{k} F_{N}[/tex]
[tex]1400 a = 1400*0.40*-9.8[/tex]
[tex]a = -3.92[/tex]

[tex]v^{2} = 35^{2} + 2*-3.92(107)[/tex]
[tex]v = 19.6 m/s[/tex]

4. I have no clue as to what to do for this one, I'll work on this one after I finish the above.

5. I have no clue as to what to do for this one, I'll work on this one after I finish the above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theorγ said:

Homework Statement

Assume that the driver of a car begins to brake his car when the distance from his car to a wall is 107 m. The mass of his car is 1400 kg, and its initial speed prior to braking is 35 m/s. The coefficient of static friction is 0.50, and assume that the car's weight is distributed evenly on the four wheels, even during braking. Based on the listed information, what are the following?:

1. What magnitude of static friction is needed to stop the car just as it reaches the wall?
2. What is the maximum possible static friction [tex]f_{s,max}[/tex]?
3. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40, at what speed will the driver hit the wall?
4. To avoid the crash, the driver chooses to turn the car so that it just barely misses the wall. What magnitude of frictional force would be required to keep the car in a circular path with the given distance and initial speed?
5. Is the required force less than [tex]f_{s,max}[/tex] so that a circular path is possible?

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{c} = v^{2}/r[/tex]
[tex]F_{net} = ma_{c}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a long problem, but for a majority of the problem, I don't know how to solve. So I'll try to go through each of them as best as I can, and if I get really stuck, I hope you guys can give me hints.

1. For this one, I just used the frictional force equation:
No, this part is asking you what force is needed to stop the car, not what is avaiable. Use the kinematic equations and Newton 2.
2. For this one, I thought that the maximum static friction was the same as above?
yes, correct, but not the same as above.
3. For this one, I used the kinematics equation above in conjunction with the following force equation:

[tex]f_{net} = -f_{k}[/tex]
[tex]m a = m \mu_{k} F_{N}[/tex]
[tex]1400 a = 1400*0.40*-9.8[/tex]
[tex]a = -3.92[/tex]

[tex]v^{2} = 35^{2} + 2*-3.92(107)[/tex]
[tex]v = 19.6 m/s[/tex]
this one is confusing,,,,if the driver locks the brakes immediately and the car skids, then kinetic friction applies...but the driver would be better off applying the brakes without skidding, because of higher friction force available (static), so still , she'll hit the wall, but at less speed than if she locked the brakes.

[tex]0^{2} = 35^{2}_{0} + 2 a (107 - 0)[/tex]
[tex]a = -5.72[/tex]

[tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]
[tex]0 = -F_{brake} - f_{s}[/tex]
[tex]f_{s} = -F_{brake}[/tex]
[tex]f_{s} = -ma[/tex]
[tex]f_{s} = -(1400 * -5.72)[/tex]
[tex]f_{s} = 8008 N[/tex]

PhanthomJay said:
this one is confusing,,,,if the driver locks the brakes immediately and the car skids, then kinetic friction applies...but the driver would be better off applying the brakes without skidding, because of higher friction force available (static), so still , she'll hit the wall, but at less speed than if she locked the brakes.

Does that mean my answer was correct?

Last edited:
Yes, you need 8000 N to stop the car before it hits the wall, but you only have 6860 N available..so the car will hit the wall, unless you swerve...

okay, then does that mean my answer for #3 is also right?

Theorγ said:
okay, then does that mean my answer for #3 is also right?
Only if the car locked its brakes and skidded all the way to the wall. The problem is not worded very well...if the driver was able to stop without the tires skidding (ABS Braking system), but just on the verge of skidding, then the speed would be less as she hits the wall. But I guess you are to assume kinetic friction due to the car skidding, but I don't know, but in which case your method is corrrect (I didn't check the math).

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pointing towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular motion instead of flying off in a straight line.

How does frictional force affect centripetal force?

Frictional force can act as a resistance to the motion of an object, which can decrease the centripetal force acting on the object. This can cause the object to move in a wider circle or slow down.

Can braking affect the centripetal force of a moving object?

Yes, braking can decrease the speed of a moving object and therefore decrease the centripetal force acting on it. This can cause the object to move in a tighter circle or even come to a stop.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and velocity?

The centripetal force acting on an object is directly proportional to the velocity of the object squared. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force also increases.

How can we calculate the centripetal force of an object?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.