Layer of Ice in water pipe (affect on heat transfer)

In summary,An expert summarizer has provided a summary of the following conversation. An expert has asked if a thin layer of ice may have an affect on heat loss in water flowing in a pipe. The thermal conductivity of ice is low, and if there is any ice present, it would help insulate the pipe but also keep in mind that it is sitting at 0 C itself. If the answer to whether there is any ice is below 0 C, then a detailed calculation is complicated. However, if the flow of water is constant and small volumes of water remain, then a pile of ice would build up and create a problem. Instead of making this too complicated, the expert suggests that the problem be simplified into a flat
sam...wise
Hi

I am curious to know if anyone can provide a formula/answer to the affect of a thin layer of ice may have on heat loss in water flowing in a pipe.

Example.
I have a smooth plastic pipe approx 20mm diameter, 5m length. 400ml of water travels down the pipe, approximately 0.5m/s. in -10C external temperature (assuming no wind chill), the temperature of liquid drops from a start temp of 30C to an exit temp of 20C.

But by how much would a thin layer of ice inside the length of the pipe say 2mm have on the exit temp of the water? Is there a calculation I can use to work out by how much the temperature will reduce?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sam...wise

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The thermal conductivity of ice is somewhat low at 2.22 W/mK, but you would have to calculate the convective coefficient of the water in the pipe to know for certain what effect it would have.

It is actually a fairly simple heat transfer problem assuming you know the pipe thickness and the ice thickness. Ice would help insulate the pipe, but you also have to keep in mind that it is sitting there at 0 C itself.

boneh3ad said:
It is actually a fairly simple heat transfer problem assuming you know the pipe thickness and the ice thickness. Ice would help insulate the pipe, but you also have to keep in mind that it is sitting there at 0 C itself.

The only simple calculation is whether there will be any ice at all. From the volume flow rate, and the inlet and outlet temperatures, you know the rate of heat loss from the water. If you assume the outside of the pipe wall is at -10C (which is pessimistic) then you can estimate the temperature of the inside wall to conduct away that quantity of heat, given the pipe diameter and wall thickness and the thermal conductivity of the material.

If the answer to that is below 0C, then doing a detailed calculation is actually very complicated, because the ice thickness will vary along the length of the pipe and the thickness profile will have to be calculated, probably by a computer simulation of the ice build-up in the pipe.

The assumption the ice would all be at 0 C is obviously wrong, because that would mean there was no temperature gradient in the ice and therefore no heat flow through it.

My gut instinct would be that the mean outlet temperature is 20C, there will be no ice in the pipe. Of course if the flow stops, that situation will soon change!

Even with all of that, it isn't a terribly difficult problem if you just make some simple assumptions that don't introduce any meaningful error into the calculations. I doubt this guy needs it to be accurate to 0.1% or anything so crazy. Assuming lengthwise uniform ice thickness wouldn't be a bad approximation. Even without that assumption, it isn't terrible with various other valid simplifications.

boneh3ad said:
Even with all of that, it isn't a terribly difficult problem if you just make some simple assumptions that don't introduce any meaningful error into the calculations. I doubt this guy needs it to be accurate to 0.1% or anything so crazy. Assuming lengthwise uniform ice thickness wouldn't be a bad approximation. Even without that assumption, it isn't terrible with various other valid simplifications.

Anybody can get the wrong answer by making a pile of unjustified (and unjustifiable) assumptions. Garbage in, garbage out and all that.

Anyway, I already made my simplifying assumption:water outlet temp 20C = zero ice.

That is true, but none of those assumptions I mentioned are necessarily garbage. You can toot your own horn all you want, but the problem doesn't have to be overly complicated to get a good engineering estimate. It all depends on what the final application is. There are very few that require the kind of accuracy you propose.

Firstly, thanks for the replys. I was thinking, to simplify the situation I would be able to assume an average ice thickness. Once I have the calculation, I could vary this and see what affect it has.

AlephZero, you are right, with water of outlet temp 20C ice shouldn't be present, but flow is not constant and small volumes of water do remain in the pipe, which quickly freeze. This builds up in layers to create a problem.

Instead of making this too complicated, is there any way I can work out how much quicker ice would cool the water vs air? My present calculation is for water flowing through a pipe with ambient air temp of -10. Pipe temp is same as ambient and thickness is ignored. Could I make it into a flat plate example of convection with ice as the surface and water flowing over it?

I know from practical tests that 400ml water flowing in a pipe with ice in it is not exiting at 20C but nearer to 5C.

Sorry, I hope that makes sense...

I have realized this question is somewhat irrelevant to my problem.

If the exit temperature of the water is above zero at the exit point, ice will not have a great affect on this, as it too is the temperature of ambient surroundings.

What this question is really asking is how much liquid would freeze at the boundary layer between the ice and water as the water flows over it? A tricky and in this case probably irrelevant question.

boneh3ad said:
That is true, but none of those assumptions I mentioned are necessarily garbage. You can toot your own horn all you want, but the problem doesn't have to be overly complicated to get a good engineering estimate. It all depends on what the final application is. There are very few that require the kind of accuracy you propose.

So far as I can see, the only person who has proposed any level of accuracy is you, with your ridiculous strawman of 0.1% (and you don't even say 0.1% of what quantity)

A good engineer doesn't try and drive a nail with a sledgehammer or trim shrubs with a chainsaw, and that is what you are trying to do. There is no reason to not make a few simplifications to the problem to allow it to be done by hand rather than by sophisticated computer codes. Perhaps this person actually does need to know to some high degree of accuracy, at which point go for it with the complicated solution. However, nothing he/she has said has indicated to me the need for unparalleled accuracy like that.

Good engineering approximations are just as valuable as precise answers.

1. How does a layer of ice in a water pipe affect heat transfer?

A layer of ice in a water pipe can significantly decrease the rate of heat transfer. This is because ice has a lower thermal conductivity compared to water, meaning it is a poorer conductor of heat. As a result, the layer of ice acts as an insulator, making it more difficult for heat to transfer through the pipe.

2. What causes a layer of ice to form in a water pipe?

A layer of ice can form in a water pipe when the temperature of the water inside the pipe is below freezing. This can happen in cold climates or when the water is not being used frequently, allowing it to cool down and freeze.

3. Can a layer of ice in a water pipe cause damage?

Yes, a layer of ice in a water pipe can cause damage. As water freezes, it expands and can create pressure within the pipe. This pressure can cause the pipe to burst, leading to water damage and potentially expensive repairs.

4. How can I prevent a layer of ice from forming in my water pipe?

To prevent a layer of ice from forming in your water pipe, you can insulate the pipe to keep it warm. You can also keep the water running at a slow trickle to prevent it from cooling down and freezing. If you live in a cold climate, you may also want to consider installing a pipe heater or using heat tape to keep your pipes from freezing.

5. How can I remove a layer of ice from my water pipe?

If a layer of ice has already formed in your water pipe, you can try using a hairdryer or heat gun to melt the ice. It is important to be careful when using heat to remove ice from a pipe, as too much heat can cause the pipe to burst. If you are unsure, it is best to call a professional plumber for assistance.