Book on theoretical nuclear physics

In summary: See what books are near the ones you like.In summary, for someone looking for a good book on the theoretical side of nuclear physics, Blatt and Weiskopf and Feschbach's "Theoretical Nuclear Physics" series are recommended. However, they may be difficult to find and it is suggested to check with your institution's library. Another option is H. Frauenfelder and E.M. Henley's "Nuclear and Particle Physics." The Many-Body Nuclear Problem by Ring and Schuck may also be worth checking out.
eXorikos
Can you recommend a good book on the theoretical side of nuclear physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blatt and Weiskopf is fairly well liked and respected.

What level are you looking at? What is your background?

I'm a nuclear physics student at the master level. My nuclear physics is only at the level of Krane's introductory nuclear physics. For QM I had a course using Sakurai.

So, you are looking for what books to look at after Krane right?

I agree with Dr. Transport, Blatt and Weiskopf is good (and reasonably priced). Feschbach's 2 part series (the first volume is coauthored with deShalit) entitled "Theoretical Nuclear Physics" is also good, though finding the 2nd in the series on Nuclear Reactions for purchase at a reasonable price is very difficult. You will likely have to borrow it from your institutions library.

Blatt and Weiskopf isn't directly available in our library (no version prior to 1962), the same goes for Feshbach. The books are listed as being in the department of nuclear physics somewhere, but where isn't specified... :/

Blatt and Weiskopf is apparently not very recent, but that not a problem it seems? I found Krane a bit old at the beginning... :p It's worth the purchase?

How do you rate The Many-Body Nuclear Problem by Ring and Schuck. At first sight that is the only book directly available.

Try H. Frauenfelder and E.M. Henley, "Nuclear and particle physics"

eXorikos said:
Blatt and Weiskopf isn't directly available in our library (no version prior to 1962), the same goes for Feshbach. The books are listed as being in the department of nuclear physics somewhere, but where isn't specified... :/
Your department might have a reading room, where these books would be. Check with your research adviser about this.

eXorikos said:
Blatt and Weiskopf is apparently not very recent, but that not a problem it seems? I found Krane a bit old at the beginning... :p It's worth the purchase?
It was released as a Dover book, which is a reprint series of classic texts, so it should be quite reasonable. Like 20-30 USD. Don't know about the EU, however.

eXorikos said:
How do you rate The Many-Body Nuclear Problem by Ring and Schuck. At first sight that is the only book directly available.
Don't know much about the book, have never looked at it. Go and check it out. When I was in grad school, I would sometimes just go to the library and look at what books were near the ones I was interested in. Libraries typically group books by subject, so this can be useful.

What is theoretical nuclear physics?

Theoretical nuclear physics is a branch of physics that focuses on understanding the behavior of atomic nuclei and the interactions between subatomic particles within them.

What topics are typically covered in a book on theoretical nuclear physics?

A book on theoretical nuclear physics may cover topics such as nuclear structure, nuclear reactions, nuclear models, nuclear forces, and applications of nuclear physics.

Who is a book on theoretical nuclear physics intended for?

A book on theoretical nuclear physics is typically intended for students and researchers in the field of nuclear physics, as well as physicists and scientists interested in understanding the fundamental properties of atomic nuclei.

What makes theoretical nuclear physics an important field of study?

Theoretical nuclear physics plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of matter at the atomic level, and has numerous applications in fields such as energy production, medicine, and astrophysics.

What are some key concepts and theories in theoretical nuclear physics?

Some key concepts and theories in theoretical nuclear physics include the shell model, the liquid drop model, the nuclear force, and the standard model of particle physics.