Why Am I Struggling with Newtonian Physics Concepts?

In summary, the conversation discusses topics related to momentum, including which objects have the largest momentum, the relationship between size, weight, and momentum, and the conservation of momentum. The conversation also touches on Newton's laws of motion and the implications for forces and collisions.
PhysicsNovice
:confused: I need more help please. I am moving along slowly in my physics quest to understand. The readings are more difficult and my understanding comes in and out. Please review, see how I did (answers marked with *) and make comments to help me learn. Thanks.

1. Which of the following has the largest momentum?
a. a tightrope walker crossing Niagara Falls
b. a pickup truck speeding along a highway*
c. a Mack truck parked in a parking lot
d. the Science building on campus
e. a dog running down the street

2. Two objects, A and B, have the same size and shape, but A is twice as heavy as B. When they are dropped simultaneously from a tower, they reach the ground at the same time, but A has a greater:
a. speed
b. acceleration
c. momentum*
d. all of these
e. none of these

3. A bullet is fired from a gun. The speed of the bullet will be the same as the speed of the recoiling gun because:
a. momentum is conserved
b. velocity is conserved
c. both velocity and momentum are conserved*
d. the mass of the bullet equals the mass of the gun
e. none of these

4. Two billiard balls having the same mass roll toward each other, each moving at the same speed. What is the combined momentum of the two balls?
a. 0 kg m/s*
b. 10 kg m/s
c. More information need to determine

5. A 5-kg fish swimming at a velocity of 1 m/s swallows an absent-minded 1-kg fish at rest. The speed of the larger fish after lunch is:
a. 1/2 m/s
b. 2/5 m/s*
c. 5/6 m/s
d. 6/5 m/s
e. 1 m/s

6. According to the impulse-momentum equation, Ft=change in (mv), a person will suffer less injury falling on a wooden floor (which gives) than on a more rigid cement floor. The F in the above equation stands for the force exerted on the:
a. person*
b. floor
c. both of these
d. none of these

7. A 1-kg chunk of putty moving at 1 m/s collides and sticks to a 5-kg bowling ball that is initially at rest. The bowling ball and putty then move with a momentum of:
a. 0 kg m/s
b. 1 kg m/s
c. 2 kg m/s*
d. 5 kg m/s
e. more than 5 kg m/s

8. A karate expert executes a swift blow and severs a cement block with her bare hand. The magnitude is the same for the:
a. impulse on both the block and the expert’s hand
b. force on both the block and the expert’s hand*
c. time of impact on both the block and the expert’s hand
d. all of these
e. none of these

9. The force that accelerates a rocket in outer space is exerted on the rocket by the:
a. rocket’s engine
b. rocket’s wings
c. atmospheric pressure
d. exhaust gases*
e. none of these

10. Compared to the force that brings a small car to a stop, the force required to bring a heavy truck traveling at the same speed to a stop:
a. is less
b. is more*
c. is the same
d. may be less and may be more

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsNovice said:
1. Which of the following has the largest momentum?
a. a tightrope walker crossing Niagara Falls
b. a pickup truck speeding along a highway*
c. a Mack truck parked in a parking lot
d. the Science building on campus
e. a dog running down the street
Right.

2. Two objects, A and B, have the same size and shape, but A is twice as heavy as B. When they are dropped simultaneously from a tower, they reach the ground at the same time, but A has a greater:
a. speed
b. acceleration
c. momentum*
d. all of these
e. none of these
Right.

3. A bullet is fired from a gun. The speed of the bullet will be the same as the speed of the recoiling gun because:
a. momentum is conserved
b. velocity is conserved
c. both velocity and momentum are conserved*
d. the mass of the bullet equals the mass of the gun
e. none of these
This is a weird question. I assume they mean for you to pretend that no one is holding the gun. That said, will the speed of a recoiling gun always be the same as the speed of the bullet? Or is this a special case?

4. Two billiard balls having the same mass roll toward each other, each moving at the same speed. What is the combined momentum of the two balls?
a. 0 kg m/s*
b. 10 kg m/s
c. More information need to determine
"toward each other" is a bit vague. If they mean directly toward each other, then you are correct. But what if they mean just that they smack into each other, perhaps at an angle?

5. A 5-kg fish swimming at a velocity of 1 m/s swallows an absent-minded 1-kg fish at rest. The speed of the larger fish after lunch is:
a. 1/2 m/s
b. 2/5 m/s*
c. 5/6 m/s
d. 6/5 m/s
e. 1 m/s
What's conserved during this "collision" of big fish and little fish?

6. According to the impulse-momentum equation, Ft=change in (mv), a person will suffer less injury falling on a wooden floor (which gives) than on a more rigid cement floor. The F in the above equation stands for the force exerted on the:
a. person*
b. floor
c. both of these
d. none of these
Consider Newton's 3rd law.

7. A 1-kg chunk of putty moving at 1 m/s collides and sticks to a 5-kg bowling ball that is initially at rest. The bowling ball and putty then move with a momentum of:
a. 0 kg m/s
b. 1 kg m/s
c. 2 kg m/s*
d. 5 kg m/s
e. more than 5 kg m/s
What's the initial momentum?

8. A karate expert executes a swift blow and severs a cement block with her bare hand. The magnitude is the same for the:
a. impulse on both the block and the expert’s hand
b. force on both the block and the expert’s hand*
c. time of impact on both the block and the expert’s hand
d. all of these
e. none of these
Consider Newton's 3rd law. What does it tell you about the time of impact on the two objects?

9. The force that accelerates a rocket in outer space is exerted on the rocket by the:
a. rocket’s engine
b. rocket’s wings
c. atmospheric pressure
d. exhaust gases*
e. none of these
Right.

10. Compared to the force that brings a small car to a stop, the force required to bring a heavy truck traveling at the same speed to a stop:
a. is less
b. is more*
c. is the same
d. may be less and may be more
Consider the impulse-momentum equation: the amount of force depends on how quickly you wish to stop the truck.

(Please use the homework help forum for these kinds of questions.)

Hello again Doc Al. Thanks for the assistance. Based upon your information here are my edits:

a. momentum is conserved
b. velocity is conserved
c. both velocity and momentum are conserved
d. the mass of the bullet equals the mass of the gun*
e. none of these
This problem represents a special case. If momentum = mv the the speed of the bullet = the speed of the recoiling gun then the mass of the gun and bullet must be equal.

a. 1/2 m/s
b. 2/5 m/s
c. 5/6 m/s*
d. 6/5 m/s
e. 1 m/s
Using the concept of the conservation of momentum then a 5 kg fish traveling at 1m/s eats a "standing still" 1 kg fish would result in a 6 kg fish traveling at 5/6 m/s.

a. person
b. floor
c. both of these*
d. none of these
Not exactly sure the reasoning but both the floor and the person have a force exerted on them.

a. is less
b. is more
c. is the same
d. may be less and may be more*
Any force, greater or smaller than the first force, could stop the moving car. The time to stop the car would vary.

Questions 7 & 8 I am not sure about. Also, how do I access the homework help forum? I did not see that at the physicsforums.com site. Thanks again.

PhysicsNovice said:
a. momentum is conserved
b. velocity is conserved
c. both velocity and momentum are conserved
d. the mass of the bullet equals the mass of the gun*
e. none of these
This problem represents a special case. If momentum = mv the the speed of the bullet = the speed of the recoiling gun then the mass of the gun and bullet must be equal.
Right.

a. 1/2 m/s
b. 2/5 m/s
c. 5/6 m/s*
d. 6/5 m/s
e. 1 m/s
Using the concept of the conservation of momentum then a 5 kg fish traveling at 1m/s eats a "standing still" 1 kg fish would result in a 6 kg fish traveling at 5/6 m/s.
Right.

a. person
b. floor
c. both of these*
d. none of these
Not exactly sure the reasoning but both the floor and the person have a force exerted on them.
I'd agree. Both the person and the floor exert the same amount of force on each other (but in opposite directions). So F would be the magnitude of the force on both.

a. is less
b. is more
c. is the same
d. may be less and may be more*
Any force, greater or smaller than the first force, could stop the moving car. The time to stop the car would vary.
Right.

Questions 7 & 8 I am not sure about.
For #7: During the collision momentum does not change. So what's the moment before the collision? (What's the only thing moving?)
For #8: If A pushes on B for 5 seconds, how long must B push on A?
Also, how do I access the homework help forum? I did not see that at the physicsforums.com site.
If you can read this... you are in the Homework Help section (College Level Help). :smile:

Thanks Al. I think that I have all of the questions and answers figured out. I am still weak on the formulas but I undestand and can explain in my own words the concepts. Would you agree from my responses? Tks. again!

You're getting there. Keep at it.

1. What is Newtonian physics?

Newtonian physics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that describes the motion of objects at a macroscopic scale. It is based on the three laws of motion developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are the three laws of motion in Newtonian physics?

The three laws of motion are:

• First Law: An object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.
  • Second Law: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.
  • Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How are forces related to motion in Newtonian physics?

According to Newton's second law, forces are directly related to motion. The greater the net force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be. In other words, the more force applied to an object, the more it will speed up, slow down, or change direction.

4. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces in Newtonian physics?

When the forces acting on an object are equal and opposite, they cancel each other out and the object remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity. This is known as balanced forces. On the other hand, when the forces are not equal and opposite, they result in a net force and the object will experience acceleration. This is known as unbalanced forces.

5. How is Newtonian physics used in everyday life?

Newtonian physics is used in many everyday applications, such as designing machines and structures, predicting the motion of objects, and understanding the behavior of fluids. It also forms the basis for other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism.