Wavelength Function and Diffraction Orders Explained

In summary, the symbol "m" in dsin\theta=m\lambda represents the order of diffraction observed in a fluorospectrometer. The sin\theta value is always equal to 1 in this instrument and the excitation \lambda is fixed. The first and second order diffraction peaks are typically observed. In terms of the wavelength function, the 1st and 2nd minima after the 1st maxima are considered. In absorption spectra, the peaks are constant and this can be explained by the equation above. However, the reason for this constant shift is still being explored.
anakat-
an someone explain to me the symbol "m" in dsin[tex]\theta[/tex]=m[tex]\lambda[/tex],
where m is the order of diffraction (or whatever it's called). I am using a fluorospectrometer at which the sin[tex]\theta[/tex] is always equal to 1. This instrument can fix the excitation [tex]\lambda[/tex]. The main point is that scattering of the 1st and second order is observed.

Can somebody PLS explain to me what it means to be in the "1st and/or 2nd order". ie How does this pertain to the actual wavelength function.. I understand that it can be the 1st and 2nd minima after the 1st maxima but am having troubles seeing the big picture.

Another point to consider is that in any absorption spectra, the shifts (delta cm-1) in the peak are constant and I know this can be explained by the equation above. What I am looking for, is an explanation as to why the shifts are constant?

Thank you :tongue:

Attachments

• dif.png
    dif.png
    502 bytes · Views: 385
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The best way that I can think of to explain this is by example. A spectrometer spatially resolves the spectrum of the light source that you are analysing with it. If you take a source that has a narrow bandwidth like a c.w. laser then the spectrum of the laser will only have a single line, corresponding to the wavelength of the laser. If you then put this source into the spectrometer you may see not one line but several corresponding to the different diffraction orders. Generally the higher order diffraction peaks are much less intense so depending upon your setup you may not see them at all.

What is wave theory?

Wave theory is a scientific concept that explains the behavior of waves, which are disturbances that travel through a medium. It is used to understand various phenomena such as light, sound, and water waves.

How does diffraction occur?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through openings. It occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or slit that is comparable in size to its wavelength. This causes the wave to spread out and bend around the obstacle, creating a diffraction pattern.

What is the difference between diffraction and refraction?

Diffraction and refraction are both phenomena that involve the bending of waves, but they occur for different reasons. Diffraction occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or slit, while refraction occurs when a wave passes through a medium with varying properties, such as different densities.

How is wave theory applied in real life?

Wave theory has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in fields such as telecommunications, acoustics, and optics. It also helps us understand natural phenomena such as ocean waves, earthquakes, and weather patterns.

What are some famous experiments that support wave theory?

One famous experiment that supports wave theory is the double-slit experiment, which demonstrated the wave-like behavior of light. Another is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which provided evidence for the existence of the luminiferous ether, a medium through which light was thought to travel. However, this experiment ultimately led to the development of Einstein's theory of relativity, which replaced the concept of the ether with the concept of spacetime.