Constructing a 2D Matrix for Solving Equations with Multiple Unknowns

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write out a matrix for the solution to an equation with unknowns x and z, using the notation of alpha, beta, gamma, and eta coefficients. The speaker suggests using two matrices A and B in the form of A x + B z = 0, with x and z being vectors. It is mentioned that x = z = 0 is always a solution and the possibility of non-trivial solutions depends on the structure of A and B, as well as the values of the coefficients. The speaker also expresses confusion about the notation used and how to approach solving the equation. They also mention the potential for using Gaussian elimination to solve the equation and express excitement at being able to solve similar equations in
Hypatio
I am trying to figure out how you would write out a matrix for the solution to an equation such as the following:

[tex]\alpha x^{rr}-(2\alpha+2\gamma) x^r+(\alpha+\gamma) x^i+(\beta+\gamma) x^{br}-\beta z^r -(\beta+2\eta) z^b+(\beta+\eta) z^i +\eta z^{bb}=0[/tex]

where alpha, beta, gamma, and eta are coefficients, and x and z are unknowns, and superscripts simply indicate the relative locations of the nodes.

I do not understand how such an equation can possibly have an invertible matrix because for each equation I need to know the x and z values. If I only needed solutions to x or z values, the matrix might look something like this, depending on the values of alpha, beta, etc.:

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~demmel/cs267/lecture17/DiscretePoisson.gif

but I have no idea how to construct a matrix when you need to know two values for each node location.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation. Why do x and z sometimes have two superscripts and sometimes only one?

AlephZero said:
I don't understand your notation. Why do x and z sometimes have two superscripts and sometimes only one?
Sorry, this is a notation which is easier for me to understand for index references. b=i,j-1, bb= i,j-2,, r=i+1,j, br=i+1,j-1, i=i,j, rr=i+2,j. Think of it as bottom, bottom right,etc.

I would write it using 2 matrices A and B, in the form
A x + B z = 0
where x is the vector (x11 ... x1n, x21 ... x2n, ... xn1 ... xnn)
and similarly for z.

Clearly x = z = 0 is always a solution. Whether there are non-trivial solutions will depend on the structure of A and B and mayve on the values of the constants alpha, beta, etc.

AlephZero said:
I would write it using 2 matrices A and B, in the form
A x + B z = 0
where x is the vector (x11 ... x1n, x21 ... x2n, ... xn1 ... xnn)
and similarly for z.

Clearly x = z = 0 is always a solution. Whether there are non-trivial solutions will depend on the structure of A and B and mayve on the values of the constants alpha, beta, etc.

If I could solve an equation of the form Ax+Bz=0 that would be fantastic, but I don't see how to approach such a solution. Is this a special type of linear system that has been studied or is it not much different from an equation of the form Ax=B? In particular, I do not see how it is consistent to use two separate matrices. How are the matrices associated such that I can, ideally, perform gaussian elimination over it to arrive at the solution? I apologize if this is actually trivial.

Thank you very much for the help. I will be ecstatic if I can figure out how to solve such equations. I can then move on to solving stokes flow and problems of linear elasticity :D

If z and x are both unknowns, so far you have n^2 equations in 2n^2 variables. You need another n^2 equations from somewhere.

What is a 2D matrix?

A 2D matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent mathematical equations and solve for multiple unknown variables.

How do you construct a 2D matrix for solving equations with multiple unknowns?

To construct a 2D matrix, you first need to identify all the unknown variables in the equations. Then, each unknown variable is assigned a column in the matrix and each equation is represented as a row. The coefficients of each variable in the equation are placed in their respective column, and the constant term is placed in the last column. This process is repeated for all equations, resulting in a matrix that can be used to solve for the unknown variables.

What are the steps for solving equations using a 2D matrix?

The steps for solving equations using a 2D matrix are as follows:
1. Construct the matrix by identifying unknown variables and representing equations as rows.
2. Use row operations (such as multiplying or adding rows) to create a diagonal matrix.
3. Use back substitution to solve for the unknown variables.
4. Check your solution by substituting the values back into the original equations.

What are the benefits of using a 2D matrix for solving equations with multiple unknowns?

Using a 2D matrix allows for a systematic and organized approach to solving equations with multiple unknowns. It also helps in identifying any errors or inconsistencies in the equations, as well as providing a clear and concise solution to the problem.

Are there any limitations to using a 2D matrix for solving equations?

While a 2D matrix can be useful in solving equations with multiple unknowns, it may not be suitable for all types of equations. Additionally, larger matrices can become complex and time-consuming to solve, making it challenging to use this method for more extensive systems of equations.