Tangential and Radial Acceleration of car around a curve

In summary, the figure shows a bird's-eye view of a car on a highway curve, with its speed doubling from point 1 to point 2. The vector that represents the direction of the car's average acceleration between these two points is (f), pointing 26.57 degrees south of west. The process of determining this involves using the definition of average acceleration and drawing the initial and final velocity vectors to find the difference vector.
123scope
Hi, I have a problem with this problem..
The figure (in the attachment) shows a bird's-eye view of a car going around a highway curve. As the car moves from point 1 to point 2, its speed doubles. Which vector shows the direction of the car's average acceleration between these two points?

Ok. According to my knowledge,
THe answer cannot be (g) and (b) and (a) is also unlikely
Applying the radial and tangential acceleration I guess it could be (d) and (f)
But I can't make my mind... Can anyine help me.

Attachments

• 12333.jpg
    12333.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,859
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the definition of average acceleration: [tex]\Delta{\vec{v}}/\Delta t[/tex].

Draw the initial velocity vector. Draw the final velocity vector. The change in velocity is the difference between those two vectors. That should enable you to choose the correct answer.

AM

So using a = (vf - vi) / (delta t)

I get a = (-2v i - v j) / (delta t)

So does that mean the direction of the average acceleration is in the third quadrant??

123scope said:
So using a = (vf - vi) / (delta t)

I get a = (-2v i - v j) / (delta t)

So does that mean the direction of the average acceleration is in the third quadrant??
Don't bother putting them on an cartesian plane - just use North/South etc. The initial velocity vector is 1 unit North and the final velocity is 2 units west. Where does the difference vector point?

AM

The vector diagram is as follows/
I found it to be south west. So could it be option (g)?

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 920
123scope said:
The vector diagram is as follows/
I found it to be south west. So could it be option (g)?
What is the angle (south of west) that the resultant points in your diagram? What is the angle in g)? (You can measure the latter if you can't tell just by looking at it).

AM

sorry woops. it the answer can't be option (g). THe angle in option (g) is slightly larger.
The answer should be (f) then.
26.57 degrees south of west. Am I right?

123scope said:
sorry woops. it the answer can't be option (g). THe angle in option (g) is slightly larger.
The answer should be (f) then.
26.57 degrees south of west. Am I right?
Right.

AM

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity, which is the component of its velocity that is parallel to its direction of motion. In simpler terms, it is the acceleration that causes an object to speed up or slow down while moving in a circular path.

2. How is tangential acceleration related to radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and radial acceleration are two components of an object's total acceleration when moving in a circular path. Tangential acceleration is responsible for changes in speed, while radial acceleration is responsible for changes in direction. Together, they determine the overall acceleration of an object around a curve.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of tangential acceleration in a car going around a curve?

The magnitude of tangential acceleration in a car around a curve is affected by the car's speed, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. A higher speed or a sharper turn will result in a greater tangential acceleration, while a higher coefficient of friction will decrease the tangential acceleration.

4. How does tangential acceleration impact a car's handling around a curve?

Tangential acceleration plays a crucial role in a car's handling around a curve. If the tangential acceleration is too high, the car may lose traction and skid off the road. On the other hand, if the tangential acceleration is too low, the car may not be able to maintain its speed and may slow down too much. The ideal tangential acceleration for safe and efficient handling around a curve will vary depending on the specific conditions and the capabilities of the car.

5. Can tangential and radial acceleration be measured in real-time while driving a car?

Yes, tangential and radial acceleration can be measured in real-time while driving a car using sensors and data collection systems. These measurements can provide valuable information about the car's performance and help drivers make adjustments to ensure safe and efficient handling around curves.