Which Cup Will Sugar Dissolve Faster In? Why?

• Thread starter BakyX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the different rates of sugar dissolution in two glasses of water with the same temperature. It was observed that the sugar cube suspended in the water dissolved faster due to more surface area being exposed. Factors such as the volume and depth of the glasses, as well as the humidity and brand of sugar, may also affect the rate of dissolution. Further experiments can be done to test the distribution of dissolved sugar in the glass.
BakyX
I have two same glasses. In both glasses I have water with the same temperature. I put sugar cube to the first cup and in the second cup I fix sugar cube so that the cube doesn’t touch bottom of glass. In which cup will sugar dissolve before ? Why ?

Hello..Next problelm..At first, sorry for bad english. At second..I try it and sugar dissolve before in the second cup..But there is still question WHY

Thanks everyone for help

Physics news on Phys.org
i assume the sugar cube in first cup fell to the bottom and came to rest with bottom surface flush with bottom of the glass..correct
the cube wit hall 6 sides exposed to the water will dissolve simply because more area is exposed ..the sugar cube resting on the bottom has only five sides exposed to the water

Last edited:
No SURE way to tell...maybe the motion abrasion of falling all the way to the bottom of the glass results is a quicker dissolve...if the volumes of water are different and the shapes [depths] of the glasses that could also affect the results...

but keeping things simple I agree with the logic above...

How much of a difference did you observe?? How often did you repeat the measurements??

One sugar cube exposed to humid moist air before immersion might dissolve more quickly than a dry one in an air tight container...I would guess...

Different brands may differ in dissolution characteristics...how artificial creamer particles dissolve was apparently a big issue with those products...and reportedly took lots of experimentation...

Besides the more surface area in the second case, I wonder if, as sugar molecules are heavier than water, they will tend to sink to the bottom of the glass. This would mean the sugar cube on the bottom of the glass will be surrounded by a solution with a higher sugar concentration as it dissolves, perhaps near saturation. So the rate of dissolving (per surface area) would be lower for the sugar cube at the bottom of the glass.

But I could be wrong, and the dissolved sugar might distribute pretty uniformly thoughout the glass.

To test this, you could do the experiment with both sugar cubes suspended; one near the bottom of the glass and one near the middle or top.

I can offer an explanation for why the sugar dissolved faster in the second cup. When the sugar cube is suspended in the water without touching the bottom of the glass, it has more surface area exposed to the water. This allows the water molecules to come into contact with more sugar molecules, leading to a faster dissolution rate. In the first cup, the sugar cube is in direct contact with the bottom of the glass, limiting the surface area available for the water to interact with the sugar. Additionally, the suspended sugar cube may also be subject to more agitation from the water molecules, further increasing the rate of dissolution. Therefore, the second cup with the suspended sugar cube will likely dissolve faster due to increased surface area and agitation.

1. What does it mean to have "two same glasses"?

Having "two same glasses" means that you have two identical glasses, meaning they have the same shape, size, and design.

2. Why is it important to have two same glasses in a scientific experiment?

In a scientific experiment, it is important to have controlled variables. Having two same glasses ensures that any differences observed in the experiment are due to the variable being tested and not the glasses themselves.

3. Can I use two different glasses instead of two same glasses?

It is not recommended to use two different glasses in a scientific experiment as this can introduce potential confounding variables and affect the accuracy and reliability of the results.

4. How do I determine if my glasses are exactly the same?

To determine if your glasses are exactly the same, you can compare them visually and measure their dimensions using a ruler or measuring tape. You can also conduct a simple water test by filling both glasses with the same amount of water and checking if the water level is the same.

5. Are two same glasses necessary for all types of scientific experiments?

No, two same glasses may not be necessary for all types of scientific experiments. It depends on the variables being tested and the type of experiment being conducted. However, it is always recommended to have controlled variables to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.