Does exposure to a radioactive substance make another substance radioactive?

• Thread starter CosmicVoyager
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radioactive
In summary, the use of a Geiger counter in science fiction movies to detect radiation poisoning may not be entirely accurate. It is more likely that the person has been contaminated with radioactive particles, rather than becoming radioactive themselves. The use of a Geiger counter in real life is to detect the presence of radioactive particles and not to determine if a person is radioactive.
CosmicVoyager
Greetings,

I have seen science fiction movies where a Geiger counter is used to tell if someone has radiation poisoning. Does being exposed to radiation from a radioactive substance make a person radioactive?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. If a substance is exposed to a source of neutrons then some nuclei may experience neutron capture and hence produce unstable radioactive isotopes.

However, it is more likely that in these science fiction movies that the person has just experienced some radioactive contamination where traces of the radioactive substance have somehow transferred to their skin, clothing or hair, or worse they have somehow injested some radioactive substance. And these traces are picked up by the geiger counter.

This can have a serious effect on their health, and at large doses human cells will suffer considerable radiation damage but won't make their cells radioactive in themselves.

Polyamorph said:
However, it is more likely that in these science fiction movies that the person has just experienced some radioactive contamination where traces of the radioactive substance have somehow transferred to their skin, clothing or hair, or worse they have somehow injested some radioactive substance. And these traces are picked up by the geiger counter.

Agreed, from personal experience. The geiger counter doesn't tell you you have radiation poisoning per se. It just tells you if you have radioactive material on/in you. say you breathed in contaminated dust, or that same dust/radioactive mineral specks are on your outer body/clothing.
Holding one of my uranium rock samples isn't going to make/leave me radioactive when I finally place the sample away from me. I am just going to be affected (healthwise) by the particles radiated from the sample whilst I hold it.

Last year (2010) I had the interesting experience of a full body bone scan in hospital. It shows up rheumatoid and osteo arthritis in bone joints. they pumped a large syringe of Technetium99m into me and then did scans. for 2 days I was more radioactive than some of my rock samples. My geiger counter went crazy when brought near me. I even videoed it hahaha, by the 4th day it was almost gone from my system.

cheers
Dave

Polyamorph said:
An even more likely explanation: Its just a movie. A badly done science fiction movie.

For those that have seen them use some sort of meter on people or objects in the news, they are simply searching for radioactive particles released from Japan. It is these particles which make things radioactive.

D H said:
An even more likely explanation: Its just a movie. A badly done science fiction movie.

I don't think use of a Geiger counter in a movie makes it a bad movie! As long as they are using it correctly.

1. Does exposure to a radioactive substance always make another substance radioactive?

No, not all substances become radioactive when exposed to a radioactive substance. It depends on the type of radioactive substance and the type of material it is interacting with. Some materials are more susceptible to becoming radioactive than others.

2. How does exposure to a radioactive substance make another substance radioactive?

When a radioactive substance comes into contact with another material, it can transfer some of its unstable atoms or particles, known as radiation, to the other material. This can cause the other material to become unstable and radioactive.

3. Can exposure to a radioactive substance be harmful to living organisms?

Yes, exposure to a radioactive substance can be harmful to living organisms. The radiation from the substance can damage cells and DNA, which can lead to health issues such as cancer or genetic mutations.

4. Is there a safe level of exposure to a radioactive substance?

Yes, there are safe levels of exposure to radioactive substances. This is measured in units called millisieverts (mSv) and the safe limit for exposure varies depending on the type of substance and the duration of exposure.

5. How can exposure to a radioactive substance be detected?

Exposure to a radioactive substance can be detected through various methods such as using radiation detectors, monitoring equipment, and conducting tests on biological samples. It is important to regularly monitor for exposure to ensure safety and minimize potential harm.