Have you seen This is Spinal Tap movie?

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, "This is Spinal Tap" is a hilarious and deep film about a metal band. The movie is based on real bands and has interesting scenes about the band's past.
tumor
Has anyone of you seen "This is Spinal Tap" movie? What do you think?
I have seen that movie again for the 4-th time and in my opinnion it is one of the best movies of all times, simply hillarious and yet deep and thought provoking.
One sentence says it all --- "It"s such a fine line between stupid and clever",
well,... maybe two--- "In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history,lived an ancient race of people...the Druids.No one knows who they were or what they were doing...
One more " --- the question is, how much more black can it get?and the answer is none...none more black

Physics news on Phys.org
E-leven...its louder...

If you liked that, also check out a movie called Fear of a Black Hat. It's like Spinal Tap but it's about rap stars.

Did you get the DVD re-release? It has so many outtakes that are in final edit form, it makes the movie about twice as long. THere's an extended scene with Billy Crystal (the Mime Waiter) where we find that his business is called "Shut up and Eat."

Also, see the Simpson Episode "The Otto Show" (3rd season). It features Spinal Tap, and it reveals how the band finally ends.

I thought it was kinda dumb...

It was fun.

I heard it was based on real musicians. The bassist from Saxon & the singer from Whitesnake? Or something? I like the bit where they get lost back stage.

Yep you can see that's it based on sveral bands Saxon, Whitesnake, Led Zepplin; many of the scenes about the band's past are rather obviuosly based on Status Quo (!).

Saxon... oh dear. My friend loves them. I thought that quite a lot of people missed the irony in it, and thought it was a vague documentary about a band. Didnt they release a single or two?

Gotta love the 80's.

Yeah, as far as I remember the bass player was modeled on the one in Saxon. They nicked his way of playing open strings while holding his left arm in the air, in a fist. Dunno about the RAF 'tach though. That might have been Biggles on his night off. I think the salami was from Biggles too. ( :tongue2: )

jimmy p said:
Saxon... oh dear. My friend loves them. I thought that quite a lot of people missed the irony in it, and thought it was a vague documentary about a band. Didnt they release a single or two?

Gotta love the 80's.

The movie is funnier for anyone who has ever been in a band, or at least knew people in a band. "Christmas with the devil" was a big college radio hit, and one of them (not Harry Shearer or Chris Guest, the other one) was part of the the Canadian version of a "Feed the world" type, multi-star-studded hit single.

Another note: I heard that Christopher Guest (also the star of "Waiting for Guffman," "Best in Show," and "A mighty wind," but best known as the six-fingered man in "Princess Bride") is a peer in the House of Lords in the British Parliament!

Why do I know all this? Don't I have anything better to do?

1. What is "This is Spinal Tap" about?

"This is Spinal Tap" is a mockumentary film that follows the fictional heavy metal band Spinal Tap as they embark on a disastrous concert tour. The film satirizes the rock music industry and its excesses, while also showcasing the band's dysfunctional relationships and comedic misadventures.

2. Is "This is Spinal Tap" based on a real band?

No, the band Spinal Tap and its members are purely fictional. However, the film was inspired by real rock bands and their experiences, making it a parody of the genre.

3. Who directed "This is Spinal Tap"?

The film was directed by Rob Reiner, who also co-wrote the screenplay with the film's stars Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Shearer.

4. When was "This is Spinal Tap" released?

The film was released in 1984 and has since become a cult classic, known for its iconic quotes and scenes.

5. Is "This is Spinal Tap" a comedy or a documentary?

It is both! "This is Spinal Tap" is a mockumentary, which means it is a fictional film made in the style of a documentary. It uses elements of comedy and satire to entertain and poke fun at the rock music industry.