Understanding Tensor Products: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter dimension10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary: I think I understand now. A vector space is a function that takes two inputs and produces a third input. A bilinear map is a function that takes two inputs and produces a third input that is a linear combination of the two inputs. A tensor product is a function that takes two input spaces and produces a third space that is a linear combination of the two input spaces.
dimension10
I've searched everywhere about tensor products but I just can't understand them. Can anyone please explain this concept to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can tell us what you don't understand, we may help you better.

If you are talking about vector spaces, then the tensor product V(x)W
gives you a new vector space in which every bilinear map from VxW into
a third space Z becomes a linear map from V(X)W--->Z .

The existence of the tensor product follows from some algebraic lemmas
that guarantee that certain maps factor through; conditions on the kernel
of homomorphisms that allow a bilinear map VxW-->Z to factor through
V(X)W.

But if we don't know your background, or more specifically where you are
stuck, it is difficult to suggest something.

Bacle said:
If you can tell us what you don't understand, we may help you better.

If you are talking about vector spaces, then the tensor product V(x)W
gives you a new vector space in which every bilinear map from VxW into
a third space Z becomes a linear map from V(X)W--->Z .

The existence of the tensor product follows from some algebraic lemmas
that guarantee that certain maps factor through; conditions on the kernel
of homomorphisms that allow a bilinear map VxW-->Z to factor through
V(X)W.

But if we don't know your background, or more specifically where you are
stuck, it is difficult to suggest something.

I do not understand bilinear maps, linear maps and vector spaces. I do not even know what tensor products are about. Thanks.

Tensor products are about linear and bilinear maps between vector spaces (in the simplest case!). And they are substantially more difficult to grasp than those. So I suggest you start by understanding linear and bilinear maps on vector space.

quasar987 said:
Tensor products are about linear and bilinear maps between vector spaces (in the simplest case!). And they are substantially more difficult to grasp than those. So I suggest you start by understanding linear and bilinear maps on vector space.

Thanks. I managed to understand linear and bilinear vector spaces. This helped me understand tensor products, but I'm afraid I might be having a misconception. Is it true that a linear vector space is a function of 2 vectors such that the diagonal vector is a sum of the 2 vectors? Am I right to say that a bilinear vector space is a function of linear vector spaces and that a tensor product is a function of vector spaces.

Such that:

V(X)W=f(f(x,y)?

You're neither right on wrong. None of what you wrote makes sense. Best to go back to the books.

dimension10:

Read your definitions more carefully. A map can be linear or bilinear, but
not so for a vector space.

I don't know if you are thinking of tensoring linear maps, maybe, but
even then, you are kinda off.

Bacle said:
dimension10:

Read your definitions more carefully. A map can be linear or bilinear, but
not so for a vector space.

I don't know if you are thinking of tensoring linear maps, maybe, but
even then, you are kinda off.

Oh, so vector spaces have only one type? Linear?

a dot product is a bilinear map. a tensor product is a technical device which linearizes all bilinear maps.see my notes on my web page, or search my many posts here for this topic.

This thread will be useful once you have understood the definitions of the terms "vector space", "linear" and "bilinear". Start with the definitions.

Sometimes one of the terms "linear vector space" or "linear space" is used instead of "vector space", but they all mean the same thing.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
a dot product is a bilinear map. a tensor product is a technical device which linearizes all bilinear maps.

see my notes on my web page, or search my many posts here for this topic.

Oh! Thanks!

1. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new, larger vector space. It is used to represent the relationship between two different vector spaces and can be thought of as a generalization of the outer product between two vectors.

2. What is the purpose of using tensor products?

The main purpose of using tensor products is to represent and mathematically manipulate multidimensional data. It allows for the analysis of complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components and examining their relationships.

3. How is a tensor product different from a regular product?

Unlike a regular product, which results in a single value, a tensor product results in a multidimensional object. The dimensions of the tensor product are determined by the dimensions of the two vector spaces being multiplied together.

4. How is a tensor product calculated?

The calculation of a tensor product involves taking the outer product of two vectors and then using a tensor product rule to combine the resulting matrices. This can be done using a tensor product notation or by using matrix operations.

5. What are some real-world applications of tensor products?

Tensor products have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in quantum mechanics, signal processing, image processing, and machine learning, to name a few. Tensor products are also essential in the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and multilinear algebra.