Hydrostatic Force & It's Location on a Plate

I will try to figure it outIn summary, to calculate the hydrostatic force on a 10m equilateral plate under water at 60 degrees F, use a paint program to draw the plate and upload it using the 'Manage Attachments' button. Make sure the plate is aligned properly and use the link provided by enigma to view the image. Then, use the formula for hydrostatic force to determine its location on the plate.
SheCanBuild
Please explain how I calc the hydrostatic force and it's location on the plate.

Above the drawing is says:
A 10m equlateral plate under water
Assume 60 degrees F

I clicked on 'Manage Attatchments' to upload the drawing. Give me a minute to do it another way if it won't show up.
Thanks,
Ronelle
Note: I couldn't use AutoCAD to draw it because it wouldn't show up on the boards, so I had to use a paint program so please excuse the unaligned flubs and stuff...I doubt my 50 degree is 50 degrees either

Physics news on Phys.org
How do i use html? just past the code or do i need to be in a different mode? http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/844417/Image2.jpg
lol we'll see

Fixed your link, SheCanBuild

-enigma

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou enigma

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid at rest on a surface. It is a result of the weight of the fluid above the surface and is dependent on the density and depth of the fluid.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force can be calculated by multiplying the area of the surface by the pressure at that point, which is equal to the weight of the fluid above the surface divided by the area of the surface.

3. How does the location of the plate affect hydrostatic force?

The location of the plate affects hydrostatic force by changing the depth and density of the fluid above the surface. This, in turn, affects the weight of the fluid and therefore the hydrostatic force exerted on the plate.

4. What is the significance of hydrostatic force on a plate?

Hydrostatic force on a plate is significant in many fields, including engineering, physics, and oceanography. It is important in determining the stability and buoyancy of structures and can also be used to calculate the forces on submerged objects.

5. How does the shape of the plate affect hydrostatic force?

The shape of the plate can affect hydrostatic force by changing the surface area of the plate and the distribution of pressure on the surface. A curved or angled plate will experience different forces compared to a flat plate due to the varying depths and densities of the fluid above it.