Signs of nature where you live.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, the rose-breasted grosbeaks are arriving in central Maine, the grass is growing extremely fast, lots of people are sneezing, my tomatoes are blooming, ducklings, goslings, squirrels and their poop, and lots of birds are chirping at 0500. The weather is still cool at night and we had a frost warning a few nights ago. We've had a number of stinkbugs in the house, apparently they hibernated under the siding or got into the walls, and garlic has sprouted. The first trees are releasing clouds of pollen, the trees have budded, and the rhubard is up. The blueberries have flowers, and the raspberry and
turbo
Gold Member
Here in central Maine, the rose-breasted grosbeaks are arriving. We only have one male currently, though we typically get 4-5 and lots of females and juveniles (they come a week or more after the males.) I went out on my back deck just a couple of minutes ago, and the alpha male rose-breasted grosbeak was singing his evening territorial song in such a beautiful, lyrical fashion (so much more refined than the robin's song). At the same time the tree frogs were singing their mating calls. This is a magical time of the year.

Physics news on Phys.org
The grass grows extremely fast. That's about it really.

Lots of people sneezing in lecture.

my tomatoes are blooming.

and i saw the first stinkbug yesterday.

ducklings, goslings, squirrels and their poop!

Lots of birds, chirping at 0500. Lots of buzzing insects.

It's still cool at night, and we had a frost warning a few nights ago.

We've had a number of stinkbugs in the house. Apparently they hibernated under the siding or got into the walls. They seem to be becoming a nuisance.

Garlic has sprouted.

The first trees are releasing clouds of pollen.

The trees have budded.

The rhubard is up.

The blueberries have flowers, and the raspberry and blackberry canes have leaves. Still a ways to go before flowers on the raspberry and blackberrry canes.

I have fighter-jet hummingbirds raging around all day. In another few days, the conflicts will become monumental. In another week or so, the females will have shepherdared the last years' babies back up here and we'll have a full slate.

This time every year at my work we have ducks take up residence in the pool and make ducklings. Unfortunately half or more of them usually die, possibly from too much time swimming around in chlorinated water or maybe from the cats.

This spring, someone in my neighborhood got a cat, one of those "outside cats". I have a big fire pit lined with brick and some sand on the bottom out on my deck. My dog is especially good at finding all of these "signs of nature" in the sand.

On a positive note, on my jog yesterday I saw a Bald Eagle while jogging last week. He had some sort of small rodent pinned to a tree limb with one claw.

The daffodils and forsythia are already gone. Now it's time for the azaleas. I've cut the grass twice already. The weather has been perfect. On a sad note, there was a nest on the sidewalk with scrambled eggs all around.

Moose, squirrel, and mosquito

Pythagorean said:
Moose, squirrel, and mosquito

Moose and squirrel...lol...

http://www.prosportstickers.com/product_images/m/rocky_bullwinkle_natasha__89503.jpg

Humming birds are back, cold crops are planted and the animals are shedding.

We had a snake on the front steps yesterday.

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 422
I got my first evening grosbeaks of the season this morning. Like the purple finches, the males and females migrate together and show up at the same time. Still, we have no female ruby-throated hummingbirds or female rose-breasted grosbeaks. For some reason, the males and females of those species don't migrate with each other. The males come and stake out territory, then the females show up to be courted and "impressed".

all kinds of bugs are coming into the house... ants, beetles, carpet beetles, spiders, moths... grrr eating everything.

jtbell said:
We had a snake on the front steps yesterday.

OMG that is so cool.

Daffodils and forsythias are in full bloom, and leaves are popping out on the forsythias and the apple, peach, and cherry trees. Dog-tooth violets (trout lily) are in full bloom, too. Those plants can grow anywhere - even in sandy/gravel ditches on road-sides that are inundated with road salt all winter. Tough little critters!

nucleargirl said:
OMG that is so cool.

If by "cool" you mean "terrifying", yeah.

Well, it stopped raining and now all the nasty hairy dudes with creepy abs now think it's acceptable to run around the park with their tops off. Moments ago I saw a dude powerwalking (POWERWALKING) with dumbells in hand (bicep curls and powerwalkin'! Gettin ripped!) and shirt tucked into his waistband. Ick.

Edit to add: Looks like I misread the title as "signs of spring". That dudes hairy back was certainly not natural!

Wow! A mature female rose-breasted grosbeak just showed up with the second mature male, so now we have three of them. The females normally don't show up until about a week or so after the males do, so this is a departure from the norm.

Last edited:
spring_frog.jpg

Duke and Duchess of the Puddle.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The daffodils and forsythia are already gone. Now it's time for the azaleas. I've cut the grass twice already. The weather has been perfect. On a sad note, there was a nest on the sidewalk with scrambled eggs all around.
Hey, that exactly describes where I live too! Except for the nest & broken eggs part.

Borek said:
spring_frog.jpg

Duke and Duchess of the Puddle.

Hubris :smile:

tadpoles.jpg

Nemesis :cry:

kermit.jpg

Last edited:
Allergy induced headaches and sneezing for two weeks now

The only sign of nature I've taken note of is the fact I'm spending 2 days a week weed-eating. Not. Fun. Period.

turbo-1 said:
I have fighter-jet hummingbirds raging around all day. In another few days, the conflicts will become monumental. In another week or so, the females will have shepherdared the last years' babies back up here and we'll have a full slate.

Video please!

TylerH said:
The only sign of nature I've taken note of is the fact I'm spending 2 days a week weed-eating. Not. Fun. Period.

That sounds icky :yuck:. But you'll sure get your fiber!

lisab said:
That sounds icky :yuck:. But you'll sure get your fiber!

:rofl: String trimming="weed-eating"

To my untrained (in English) ear string trimming sounds more like selecting correct length of thongs for bikini.

Which is kind of a sign of nature if you ask me.

1. What are some common signs of nature in my area?

Some common signs of nature in your area may include local wildlife such as birds, insects, and small mammals, as well as plant life such as trees, flowers, and shrubs. You may also notice changes in weather patterns, seasonal changes, and natural phenomena like sunsets or rainbows.

2. How can I identify different types of plants and animals in my area?

There are many resources available to help you identify plants and animals in your area. Field guides, online databases, and apps can provide information about local species and their characteristics. You can also reach out to your local parks or nature centers for guided walks or workshops on identifying local flora and fauna.

3. What are some signs of pollution or human impact on nature in my area?

Unfortunately, pollution and human impact on nature can be seen in many environments. Signs may include litter, discolored or foul-smelling water, damaged plant life, or the absence of certain species. If you notice any of these signs, it's important to report them to local authorities or environmental organizations.

4. How can I contribute to protecting and preserving nature in my area?

There are many ways to contribute to protecting and preserving nature in your area. You can participate in local conservation efforts, volunteer at a nature center or wildlife refuge, reduce your own carbon footprint, and support organizations that work to protect the environment. You can also educate yourself and others about the importance of nature and its impact on our planet.

5. What are some ways to connect with nature in an urban or suburban environment?

Even in urban or suburban environments, there are ways to connect with nature. You can visit local parks and green spaces, go on nature walks or hikes, create a small garden or green space in your own yard, and participate in community gardens or tree planting initiatives. You can also take the time to observe and appreciate the nature that may be present in your immediate surroundings, such as birds or insects in your neighborhood.