Strategy for Testing Series, Infinite Series.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the root test and ratio test to determine the convergence of a series. The limit of the series is an indeterminate form, but using L'Hopital's Rule, it is shown to converge absolutely with a value of zero. The use of (n+1)/n is mentioned, but not fully utilized in the calculation.
mateomy
I think I did this right...

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{n}{e^{n^2}}
[/tex]

I tried it with the root test to no avail. So I then tried it with the Ratio Test and I come to this expression...

[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{(n+1)}{e^{2n} e(n)}
[/tex]

...which is an indeterminate form (infinity over infinity)

so I take L'Hopital's Rule and come to...

[tex]
\frac{1}{2e^{2n} (e)}
[/tex]

Which, when taking the limit goes to zero to show absolute convergence.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dang. Thats supposed to be (in the original Series) e^(n^2)
It also follows that it should be e^(2n) below that.

Sure, that works. You are being little casual and throwing out the (n+1)/n part because it approaches 1 and not doing the full l'Hopital. But that's ok, because 1/(e^2n)*e definitely approaches 0.

Awesome, thanks!

1. What is the purpose of testing series in mathematics?

The purpose of testing series is to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. This is important in understanding the behavior and properties of infinite sequences and their sums.

2. What is the difference between convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. A divergent series is one in which the sum of its terms does not approach a finite limit, but rather diverges to positive or negative infinity.

3. What are some common tests used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

Some common tests include the divergence test, integral test, comparison test, ratio test, root test, and alternating series test. Each of these tests has specific conditions and criteria for determining convergence or divergence.

4. Can a convergent series have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a convergent series can have an infinite number of terms. The key factor in determining convergence is not the number of terms, but rather the behavior of the terms as the number of terms increases. If the terms approach a finite limit, the series will converge.

5. Are there any strategies for determining which test to use for a particular series?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to determine which test to use for a particular series. These include looking for patterns in the terms, considering the form of the terms (e.g. polynomial, exponential, factorial), and using known properties of different types of series (e.g. geometric, telescoping, alternating). It is also important to consider the conditions and criteria for each test to ensure it is applicable to the given series.