A silly question about time zones

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, if you are located on the Earth's south pole, you can "let several days pass in just a matter of hours" by constantly crossing the International Dateline.
Nikitin
heh, a very stupid question, but hey what the heck.

Let's say it's monday 23:00 GMT +0. If we move to GMT +2, it's already Tuesday, 01:00.

If we move to, say, GMT+12 it's Tuesday 11:00. Now, if we move one timezone to GMT -11 it's 12:00.. Monday right?? can someone give me a short explanation of all of this? I am very confused about when you change days and so on..

Physics news on Phys.org
The day changes on the International Dateline. If you have one foot on one side of the line, and the other foot on the other side of the line then part of you is enjoying a pleasant weekend while the other part is hard at work doing a job you hate. If both feet are right on the line then you are drowning because the line zig-zags to avoid landfall.

So, so you're standing on the south pole and you're running in circles around the south pole. Then you're constantly crossing the International Dateline. Does that mean that you can let several days pass in just a matter of hours? :biggrin:

If I start at any point on the Earth and move one time zone west, it is an hour earlier. But imagine flying continuously around the Earth to the west - it can't just keep getting earlier and earlier indefinitely, or I could go back and say hello to Columbus. So I must have a discontinuity somewhere. This could be anywhere on the Earth, but by convention, this point is at the international date line. So if I start in London (for example) and travel west, it keeps getting earlier and earlier until I cross the international date line, at which point it suddenly gets 24 hours later, from UTC-12 hours to UTC+12 hours. It then continues to get successively earlier until I get back to my starting point.

micromass said:
So, so you're standing on the south pole and you're running in circles around the south pole. Then you're constantly crossing the International Dateline. Does that mean that you can let several days pass in just a matter of hours? :biggrin:
You will lose 24 hours, one hour at a time for every 24 hours you gain all at once when you cross the dateline. Don't forget to adjust the date when you get to GMT +1.

micromass said:
I knew you were from the future!

thanks!

What are time zones and why do we have them?

Time zones are geographical regions that have a standard time established for them. They exist because the Earth rotates on its axis, causing different areas to experience daylight and darkness at different times. Time zones help to coordinate schedules and activities across different locations.

How many time zones are there?

There are a total of 40 different time zones around the world, with some countries spanning multiple time zones. This includes the standard time zones as well as daylight saving time zones.

Why do some regions have half-hour or quarter-hour time differences?

In order to create a more accurate representation of the time in a specific location, some regions have chosen to have time zones that differ by half an hour or quarter of an hour instead of the usual one hour difference. This is often based on geographical and political considerations.

What is the International Date Line and how does it affect time zones?

The International Date Line is an imaginary line that runs through the Pacific Ocean and marks the boundary between one calendar day and the next. When crossing the International Date Line from east to west, you add a day to the calendar; when crossing from west to east, you subtract a day. This affects time zones because it determines when a new day begins in different parts of the world.

Do all countries follow daylight saving time?

No, not all countries follow daylight saving time. Currently, about 70 countries around the world observe daylight saving time, with the majority being in Europe and North America. Some countries have chosen not to participate in daylight saving time, while others have abolished it altogether.