Finding Calculus Books for Understanding Asymptotes

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for calculus books that explain asymptotes and provide formal proofs for theorems such as Weiertrass-Bolzano, Cauchy, Weiertrass, Lagrange, Roller, and L'Hopital's rule without using advanced concepts. Suggestions include videos from Khan Academy for building intuition, books by Spivak or Stewart for a balance of intuition and rigor, and introductory analysis books such as Abbott's "Understanding Analysis" or Ross's "Elementary Analysis." The conversation also mentions Fitzpatrick's "Advanced Calculus" for accessible demonstrations, and a book on proof techniques to further improve understanding.
fgyamauti
Hi, I´m trying to find out some calculus books that explain asymptotes (not only 10 lines, someone that explains formally and intuitivelly too) and demonstrate formally every theorem (including Weiertrass-Bolzano, Cauchy, Weiertrass, Lagrange, Roller theorem and L´Hopital´rule absent more advanced concepts in analysis, like compactness). I tried some analysis books, like Rudin, Terence Tao, however they are too advanced for me.
Furthermore, I´m searchig for some book that explains how to prove formally, because I´m having troubles to deal with the mathematical formalism. Any Advice?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fgyamauti :smile:

What you are looking for is actually quite difficult. Books that prove every theorem tend to be quite rigourous and difficult and they don't tend to give much intuition. On the other hand, books that supply a lot of intuition, will certainly not prove anything.

I quite agree that Rudin is too much, that book already deals with real analysis, which is calculus++.

Here is some advice that I can give you:
1) Go check out the videos of khan academy. They're great in building intuition. They won't prove anything of course, but you first need intuition before you can do your proofs.
2) Check out the calculus books by Spivak or Stewart. I think that these books could be good for you. Spivak proves everything, but I wouldn't immediately call this book "easy". Check them out and let us know what you think of them!

I second micromass's suggestion of Spivak's Calculus. You might not be able to do some (or even many) of the problems on your own if this is your first time with proofs (proofs are, in my experience, aren't easy to self-study), but Spivak is certainly pretty rigorous but accessible even to a person who is seeing Calculus for the first time. Many universities use Spivak as a stepping-stone to Rudin.

I am finishing up a first-year Honors Calculus sequence that uses Spivak and have been pretty pleased with it.

Hi, thanks for the answers.
I´ve already tried Spivak, but it does not talk about asymptotes. I´ve tried Apostol too, however I want something more formal (like russian books, Demidovich for instance). I will try analysis next semester, so I have to understand those formal concepts and learn how to prove rigorously by myself.
Thanks again.

You want an introductory analysis book.

Abbots, Understanding Analysis or Ross's, Elementary Analysis or Lays Introduction to Real Analysis.

Also a book can't both provide proofs and not be mathematically formal.

I can't say for sure since I've not finished reading the book, but Fitzpatrick's "Advanced Calculus" is fairly accessible, so it might have what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Any other suggestions about books related to demonstrations, proofs? How to improve it? Techniques about proving ?

What is an asymptote in calculus?

An asymptote is a line or curve that a function approaches but never touches or crosses. In calculus, it represents the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity or negative infinity.

Why is understanding asymptotes important in calculus?

Asymptotes play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of functions. They help identify the limits of a function and determine its end behavior. Asymptotes also aid in graphing and analyzing complex functions.

How can I find calculus books that specifically focus on asymptotes?

There are several ways to find calculus books that cover asymptotes. You can search for textbooks or reference books that include chapters or sections on asymptotes. You can also use online bookstores or search engines to find books with "asymptotes" in the title or description.

Are there any online resources available for learning about asymptotes in calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, interactive activities, and practice problems that can help you understand asymptotes in calculus. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MathisFun, and Mathway.

What are some common misconceptions about asymptotes in calculus?

One common misconception is that asymptotes are always straight lines. In reality, asymptotes can be curves or even non-existent for some functions. Another misconception is that asymptotes represent the actual values of a function, when in fact, they only represent the behavior of the function as the input values approach infinity or negative infinity.