Design Lead Screw for CNC Machine - 48 Steps, 1mm Per Step

In summary, the individual is looking to build a CNC machine and needs a lead screw. The stepper motor has 48 steps in one cycle and they want to achieve a movement of 1mm per step. They are requesting a CAD drawing for the screw and suggestions for software to design it. There are concerns about the size of the screw and the possibility of using multiple starts or changing the motor. The option of using Paint instead of CAD is also mentioned. The person responding suggests aiming for a movement of 0.01mm per step and provides a link to a potential screw in a catalog. Another individual recommends a movement of 0.0001" per step and reminds the person to consider the speed of the stepper motor.
crazybuoy
Hello,

I am going to build a CNC machine and for that I need a lead screw. My stepper motor has 48 steps in one cycle. I want to make move 1mm per step and please make a CAD drawing so that I make this screw from mechanical workshop. Also please suggest me the software to build such design.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
crazybuoy said:
Hello,

I am going to build a CNC machine and for that I need a lead screw. My stepper motor has 48 steps in one cycle. I want to make move 1mm per step and please make a CAD drawing so that I make this screw from mechanical workshop. Also please suggest me the software to build such design.

Thanks in advance
48 steps/rev * 1mm/step = 48mm/rev
So the pitch of the screw should be 48mm.

That's quite big! To what extent do you want to optimize the design? Maybe you can use multiple starts to reduce the diameter, or change the motor. Do you need to worry about backlash? With such a steep pitch it could be an issue.

You may not have to draw the complete screw. If it has a standard thread form you might be able to just specify it's properties. So the drawing may be nothing more than a cylinder with straight lines to show the threaded part. In that case you can use Paint instead of CAD :P

You can analyse it with hand calculations to decide the diameter/material/etc.

crazybuoy said:
Hello,

I am going to build a CNC machine and for that I need a lead screw. My stepper motor has 48 steps in one cycle. I want to make move 1mm per step...

Assuming "CNC" refers to a milling machine of some manner, that's an awfully large movement. Are you sure you don't want something closer to 0.01mm per step?

You will definitely want your positioning system to be a lot less than 1mm/step. Try something closer to .0001" (.0025 mm) per step and you're in the ballpark for a CNC machine. Keep in mind that stepper motors can move quickly (thousands of rpm), so even with a high gear reduction you won't be limiting your speed very much.

1. How does the design of the lead screw impact the performance of a CNC machine?

The lead screw is an essential component of a CNC machine, as it is responsible for translating rotary motion into linear motion. The design of the lead screw affects the accuracy, speed, and load capacity of the machine.

2. What is the significance of 48 steps in the design of the lead screw for a CNC machine?

48 steps refers to the number of threads per inch on the lead screw. This number determines the precision of the machine, with a higher number of steps resulting in more accurate movements.

3. How does the 1mm per step specification impact the performance of the CNC machine?

The 1mm per step specification refers to the distance the lead screw will travel with each rotation. This measurement is crucial in determining the resolution and precision of the machine. A smaller distance per step will result in finer and more accurate movements.

4. What materials are commonly used in the design of lead screws for CNC machines?

Lead screws are commonly made of materials such as stainless steel, brass, and bronze. These materials are chosen for their strength, durability, and resistance to wear and tear.

5. How can the lead screw be maintained for optimal performance?

To ensure the lead screw remains in good condition and continues to provide accurate movements, it should be regularly lubricated and cleaned. Any signs of wear or damage should be addressed promptly to prevent further issues.