Maximizing Opportunities: Co-Op Program for Engineers at [University Name]

• Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
In summary: Plus, if you do decide to go for a co-op, you can always change your mind and finish your undergraduate degree later.In summary, the co-op program at my university is a great way to get experience in the industry before graduating. It is not easy to balance school with a co-op, but the experience is worth it.
Angry Citizen
I recently found out that my university offers a co-op program for engineers, wherein I can spend two or three semesters working in industry (I'm thinking of doing something like a spring/summer session back to back), keep my full-time status (so I don't have to start paying back loans), and earn a pretty decent salary while doing it (they said the average is around 3300/month). This last part interests me, since I could earn nearly $30k over a nine month stretch (spring and summer combined). That'd pay for over a year of college!

However, only about 10% of the engineering students participate in this program, which leads me to believe that there are cons that I'm not considering. Are the other 90% just a bunch of idiots for not partaking? It sounds like a really great way to get work experience prior to graduation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have to actually get said job that you are co-oping with. Thats probably the hard part. Second its not easy to balance school (especially with engineering) with a real job.

Other than that its a great thing. Experience is extremely valuable.

You'd have to actually get said job that you are co-oping with. Thats probably the hard part.

Probably.

Second its not easy to balance school (especially with engineering) with a real job.

Well, the program is such that you're not actually taking classes while working. Or do you mean just bouncing back and forth between school and job?

I don't know how it is at your school, but at mine there's generally not a lot of options for classes and generally businesses don't work at night. So you'll have to make some sacrifices as to which classes you could take. Could potentially delay graduation (though in my eyes, the experience is worth that but I'm usually not paying tuition and if I do its only a bit + books)

and yes, bouncing between classes, fitting in homework and study time, etc. The co-op program at my school is simply getting up to 3 credits for working a related job on the side. I don't know if what you're talking about is different than that.

It is. I wouldn't be taking classes. It isn't something you'd do on the side. Especially since many of the employers are out of state, let alone out of the city.

Oh well then the obvious downsides that I can see is that you'd have to get out of state/city for awhile which isn't the easiest decision for a lot for people. Plus if you're not going to be taking any classes than wouldn't graduate much later? I'd see that as a major put off for people.

I can 100%, unequivocally, without a doubt say go for it and take a co-op placement (9 months being ideal). The work experience is phenomenal and adds to your resume greatly. Even if you are required to move out of state/town, it's a great experience. In most situations, it is covered as a term and you will be considered enrolled at the university such that you shouldn't have to worry about loans. Just make sure your courses line up!

The related work experience makes it without a doubt a dumb decision to TURN down!

I'm currently interning at a company that could easier turn into a co-op if I wanted it to. It is well worth the experience and here's the thing...

Employers don't care how long it takes you to graduate. They like seeing real experience.

Last edited:

1. What is a Co-Op Program for Engineers?

A Co-Op Program for Engineers is a structured work experience program that allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study while still enrolled in university. It typically involves alternating periods of academic study and work terms with a company or organization related to the student's field of engineering.

2. How does the Co-Op Program benefit engineering students?

The Co-Op Program provides engineering students with valuable real-world experience, allowing them to apply their theoretical knowledge and gain practical skills. It also gives students the opportunity to network and make connections in their industry, which can lead to job opportunities after graduation.

3. What are the eligibility requirements for the Co-Op Program?

The eligibility requirements for the Co-Op Program may vary depending on the specific program at your university. However, in general, students must be enrolled in an engineering program and have completed a certain number of academic credits before they can participate. They may also need to maintain a certain GPA and go through an application and interview process.

4. Can international students participate in the Co-Op Program?

Yes, international students can participate in the Co-Op Program. However, they may have additional requirements, such as obtaining a work permit or visa, depending on the country and program. It is important for international students to check with their university's Co-Op office for any specific guidelines or restrictions.

5. How does the Co-Op Program help students in their future career?

The Co-Op Program helps students in their future career by providing them with practical experience, which is highly valued by employers. It also allows students to explore different areas of engineering and gain a better understanding of their interests and strengths. Additionally, the Co-Op Program can lead to job opportunities and references for future employment after graduation.