2 Quant. questions (expanding an abitrary state, transition amplitude?)

In summary: I don't think you need to worry too much about this exam, I've been doing well so far ;)I'm glad to hear that!
ausdreamer

Homework Statement

1) The position operator x has a continuous spectrum of engenvalues {x'} with corresponding eigenkets {|x'>}. Expand this state in terms of the position eigenstates.

2) Suppose the transition amplitudes c_a',b' = <a'|b'> are known where {|b'>} are the eigenstates of a Hermition operator. Write cos(A) in terms of {|b'>}.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Is this correct? Let the arbitrary state be |x>, then:

|x> = integral(dx' * |x'><x'| * |x>) ?

2) I have no idea how one would write cos(A) in terms of {|a'>}, let alone in terms of {|b'>}??

Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally you would normalize the position eigenstates such that <x'|x> = δ(x-x'), so that you get |x> = ∫ |x'> <x'|x> dx' = ∫ |x'> δ(x-x') dx' = |x>, which is a tautology. I don't quite get the reasoning behind the first question, expand a position eigenstate in terms of position eigenstates? Maybe it was meant momentum eigenstates.

For the second part, use that cos(A) = ½ [ exp(i A) + exp(-i A) ], which is defined by the series expansion of the exponential. Then you can use that cos(A) = cos(A) Σ_{a'} |a'><a'| = Σ_{a'} ( cos(A) |a'> ) <a'| and so on.

For the first i would ask what state though? it doesn't specifically say position eigenstate, is a state referenced somewhere? ro could you assume soem arbitrary state [itex] |\phi> [\itex]

So we can write:

cos(A) = sum_a' [(cos(A) |a'>) <a'|] = sum_a' [sum_b' [|b'><b'| (cos(A) |a'>) <a'|] ] = sum_a' [sum_b' [cos(A) <b'|a'> <a'|b'>] ] = sum_c [ c^2 * cos(A)],

since <b'|a'> = <a'|b'>* = <a'|b'> = c (given in the question), since A,B hermitian? OR should I do it like this?

cos(A) = sum_a' [(cos(A) |a'>) <a'|] = sum_a' [sum_b' [|b'><b'| (cos(A) |a'>) <a'|] ] = sum_a' [sum_b' [<b'|cos(A)|b'> |a'> <a'|] ] = sum_b' [<b'|cos(A)|b'>]

Both methods and results seem correct, but if I write it in terms of c, then I don't end up writing cos(A) in terms of {|b'>} as it asks...

As for the first question, I forgot to write it all out: "The position operator x has a continuous spectrum of engenvalues {x'} with corresponding eigenkets {|x'>}. The momentum operator p has a continuous set of eigenvalues {p'} with corresponding eigenkets {|p'>}. An ensemble of particles is in an arbitrary state |alpha>. Write out this state in terms of the position eigenstates."

Is the answer to this still just: |alpha> = integral [dx' delta(x-x')* |x'>], like you wrote grey_earl?

Thanks very much for your replies so far, it has been a great help to my study :)

no, that is only if the state is a position eigenstate |x>, replace it with alpha

Ah I see, thanks for that lancedance :) There's more parts to this question that I might post here in case anyone sees this in the next 12 hours or so before my exam I'm studying for :)...

(Continuing on from the arbitrary state |alpha>...) Suppose we make a measurement that selects only particles in the range x'-A/2 to x'+A/2, where A is some small real number. What is the normalized state of these particles immediately after this measurement?

So the new state after the measurement would be (call it beta)... |beta> = integral_lower bounds x'-A/2, upper bounds x+A/2 [dx' |x'><x'|alpha>] = integral[dx' |x'> dirac(alpha-x')]

But have I found the "normalized state"? what do i have to do if i haven't?

Thanks so much for all help so far :)

ausdreamer said:
So we can write:

cos(A) = sum_a' [(cos(A) |a'>) <a'|] = sum_a' [sum_b' [|b'><b'| (cos(A) |a'>) <a'|] ] = sum_a' [sum_b' [cos(A) <b'|a'> <a'|b'>] ] = sum_c [ c^2 * cos(A)],

Before introducing the sum over b', you should apply cos(A) on the state |a'>, that's why I put it in parentesis. Coming from the definition, you get cos(A) |a'> = Σ_{n=0}^∞ (-1)^n/(2 n)! A^(2n) |a'> = Σ_{n=0}^∞ (-1)^n/(2 n)! (a')^(2n) |a'> = cos(a') |a'>. Then write |a'> = Σ_(b') |b'> <b'|a'> and an analog expression for <a'| to get the final result. Note that you cannot change |b'><a'| to <a'|b'>, since the first is an operator, but the second is a number.

ausdreamer said:
As for the first question, I forgot to write it all out: "The position operator x has a continuous spectrum of engenvalues {x'} with corresponding eigenkets {|x'>}. The momentum operator p has a continuous set of eigenvalues {p'} with corresponding eigenkets {|p'>}. An ensemble of particles is in an arbitrary state |alpha>. Write out this state in terms of the position eigenstates."

Is the answer to this still just: |alpha> = integral [dx' delta(x-x')* |x'>], like you wrote grey_earl?

No, since <x'|α> is not equal to a δ distribution. You just have |α> = ∫ |x'><x'| dx' |α> = ∫ <x'|α> |x'> dx' = ∫ α(x') |x'> dx'.

ausdreamer said:
Thanks very much for your replies so far, it has been a great help to my study :)

:) Any time again!

1. What is the purpose of expanding an arbitrary state in quantum mechanics?

The purpose of expanding an arbitrary state in quantum mechanics is to better understand the behavior of a quantum system. By expanding the state, we can determine the probability of the system being in a certain state and make predictions about its future behavior.

2. How is an arbitrary state expanded in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, an arbitrary state is expanded using a mathematical tool called a wave function. This function describes the state of a system and can be used to calculate the probability of finding the system in a particular state.

3. What is a transition amplitude in quantum mechanics?

A transition amplitude in quantum mechanics is a complex number that represents the probability amplitude for a quantum system to transition from one state to another. It is calculated using the wave function and can be used to predict the probability of a transition occurring.

4. How is a transition amplitude calculated?

A transition amplitude is calculated by taking the inner product of the initial and final states in the wave function. This involves integrating the product of the two states over all possible values of the system's variables.

5. Why is the concept of transition amplitude important in quantum mechanics?

The concept of transition amplitude is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system. By calculating the transition amplitude, we can determine the probability of certain transitions occurring and make accurate predictions about the system's future behavior.