Semilocal rings vs Picard group

In summary, the Picard group of a dimension 1 regular semi-local ring vanishes, as it is a PID which has a trivial Picard group. If the ring is not regular, the same result holds for the ideal class group. However, for rings with dimension greater than 1, the Picard group may not necessarily vanish.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For a dimension 1 regular semi-local ring, does the Picard group vanish?

What if it is not regular? (and what if I ask for the ideal class group?)
What if it's dimension greater than 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
For a dimension 1 regular semi-local ring, does the Picard group vanish?

What if it is not regular? (and what if I ask for the ideal class group?)
What if it's dimension greater than 1?

I don't know very much about this. But I think that the Picard group does vanish. A dimension 1 regular ring is a Dedekind domain. And it's known that a semi-local Dedekind domain is a PID. And the Picard group of a PID vanishes.

micromass said:
I don't know very much about this. But I think that the Picard group does vanish. A dimension 1 regular ring is a Dedekind domain. And it's known that a semi-local Dedekind domain is a PID. And the Picard group of a PID vanishes.

Excellent. I thought my first question was an easy one, but for the life of me I couldn't find any references for it, and I kept getting tripped up in my attempts to prove it (e.g. that a semi-local Dedekind domain is a PID).

1. What is a semilocal ring?

A semilocal ring is a commutative ring with identity in which every element that is not a unit belongs to exactly one maximal ideal. This means that the ring has a finite number of maximal ideals, but not necessarily a unique maximal ideal.

2. What is the Picard group of a ring?

The Picard group of a ring is the group of isomorphism classes of invertible modules over that ring. In other words, it is the set of all possible ways that a given ring can be "twisted" or "deformed" by invertible modules.

3. How are semilocal rings related to the Picard group?

In a semilocal ring, every element that is not a unit belongs to exactly one maximal ideal. This means that the non-unit elements can be "twisted" or "deformed" by a unique maximal ideal. This relationship between the non-unit elements and maximal ideals is what connects semilocal rings to the Picard group.

4. What is the significance of the Picard group in algebraic geometry?

The Picard group is an important tool in algebraic geometry for studying the behavior of algebraic varieties under deformations. It helps to classify the different ways that a given variety can be deformed, and also provides information about the geometry of the variety such as its singularities and divisors.

5. Can the Picard group be used to detect non-isomorphic semilocal rings?

Yes, the Picard group can be used to distinguish between non-isomorphic semilocal rings. If two semilocal rings have different Picard groups, then they are not isomorphic. However, the converse is not always true as there are examples of non-isomorphic rings with the same Picard group.