Matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values - using fft?

In summary, this professor suggested that the student look into using Fourier transforms to solve a problem involving orientations of two-dimensional arrays of values. The student is currently having difficulty understanding how this works and is seeking assistance. The student is also wondering about how this relates to Fourier transforms and how to implement them.
n00bot
Matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values -- using fft?

I was discussing the following problem (a subproblem of a personal project I'm working on) with a professor:

we're given two 2-d arrays of values. We know them to be identical, but they might not be oriented corrected -- i.e.,

0 0 7 0
7 7 0 7
0 7 0 8
0 9 9 0

and

0 7 8 0
7 0 0 9
0 7 7 9
0 7 0 0

I'm working with much much bigger arrays, and was saying that checking to see if they line up, recalculating/turning and checking again was going to be a huge time sink. He suggested that I look into Fast Fourier Transforms.

I'm an undergrad, currently taking Diff Eq, and I've never dealt with Fourier transforms. So far, it seems to me that in order to use FFTs, I'll have to extrapolate (somehow? I think using diff eqs?) a function describing arrays, and then, using another function (the Fourier transform), transform one function into another function, so that I'm just comparing functions. (Does that make any sense?)
As is probably obvious, I'm having a hard time understanding Fourier transforms and how this relates. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Google "image rotation FFT" and you'll find tons on this.

pmsrw3 -- thanks, not sure why I was having so much trouble before. I did find some good explanations and I have a better, though still vague, idea of how this works now.

My understanding is that when you apply the Fourier transform equation (for a 2-D image) to your image, you come up with the new function you'll be manipulating. So, this new function is what you'd change the phase of to 'rotate' it. Am I understanding this right?

If so, then an implementation question:
The formula I've seen for 2d arrays uses x, y sums -- How do you take into account the 3-tuple color values in the 2-d array? Are we taking an average or maintaining a 3-tuple sum?

Thanks again.

1. What is the purpose of matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values using fft?

The purpose of matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values using fft (Fast Fourier Transform) is to efficiently analyze and compare complex data sets, particularly in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

2. How does fft help with matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values?

fft is a mathematical algorithm that converts a signal from its original domain (often time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. This allows for easier analysis and comparison of complex data sets, including matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values.

3. Can fft be used for any type of data set?

Yes, fft can be used for any type of data set as long as it follows a periodic pattern. This includes 2-d arrays of values, which can be analyzed and compared by matching their orientations using fft.

4. What are some advantages of using fft for matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values?

One advantage of using fft for matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values is its speed and efficiency. fft is a highly optimized algorithm that can handle large data sets quickly. Additionally, it allows for accurate and precise analysis of complex data, which can be useful in various scientific and technological applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using fft for matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values?

One limitation of using fft for matching orientations of 2-d arrays of values is that it requires the data to have a periodic pattern. This means that it may not be suitable for analyzing and comparing data sets that do not follow a repetitive pattern. Additionally, fft can also be affected by noise and errors in the data, which can impact the accuracy of the results.