Redox Battery electrolyte help

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in building a small scale Redox flow battery as a fun project. They are looking for a battery with economical elements and high watt density. Issues arise in finding information on electrolyte compositions, but one design uses a VCl or VBr solution and a 4-5M solution of H2SO4. The speaker is also considering using different electrolytes and is open to hearing from experts for ideas on the best design and components. They plan to make the battery in a 5-gallon bucket and are excited to see it in action.
fastline
I am wanting to build a small scale Redox flow battery as a fun project. I know there is a list of flow batteries right now and I am trying to decide on one where the elements used are economical as well as one where the watt density is reasonably high. At least twice lead acid anyway.

Issues arise in that electrolyte compositions are a little scarce on the net. It seems one design is using a VCl or VBr solution along with possibly a 4-5M solution of H2SO4. To be right honest, some of this stuff it literally blowing the dust off some old school books. I am trying to determine the elemental volumes. I think Bromine is actually pretty expensive. I would probably look to make one in 5gal bucks. Obviously the fuel cell or reactor will be the tedious part. Very interested to see one of these work.

I am certainly open to other varieties using different electrolytes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am also open to hearing from experts in the Redox Flow Battery field. I would like to see some ideas on the best design and the components involved. Thanks.

1. What is an electrolyte in a redox battery?

An electrolyte is a substance that allows ionic conduction between the electrodes in a redox battery. It is typically a liquid or gel that contains ions which can move between the electrodes to facilitate the flow of electricity.

2. Why is the electrolyte important in a redox battery?

The electrolyte is crucial in a redox battery because it helps to facilitate the flow of charges between the electrodes. It also helps to maintain the proper balance of ions in the battery, which is necessary for efficient and safe operation.

3. What are the common types of electrolytes used in redox batteries?

The most commonly used electrolytes in redox batteries are aqueous solutions of acids, bases, and salts, as well as non-aqueous electrolytes such as organic solvents and ionic liquids. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of performance and safety.

4. How does the choice of electrolyte affect the performance of a redox battery?

The choice of electrolyte can have a significant impact on the performance of a redox battery. Different electrolytes have different conductivities and ion mobility, which can affect the battery's power and energy density. The choice of electrolyte can also affect the battery's stability and cycle life.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting an electrolyte for a redox battery?

When choosing an electrolyte for a redox battery, factors such as conductivity, ion mobility, chemical stability, and compatibility with the electrodes should be considered. Other important factors include cost, availability, and safety. The specific application and performance requirements of the battery should also be taken into account.