How Does the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Allow Specific State Transitions?

In summary, the author is trying to find an operator that only allows transitions between the states |n> and |n \pm k >. He is also trying to find an operator that commutes with the parity operator.
Kalidor
Consider the usual 1D quantum harmonic oscillator with the typical hamiltonian in P and X and with the usual ladder operators defined.
i) I have to prove that given a generic wave function [itex] \psi [/itex], [itex] \partial_t < \psi (t) |a| \psi (t)> [/itex] is proportional to [itex]< \psi (t) | a | \psi (t) >[/itex] and determine their ratio.

Here I tried to express [itex] \psi(t) [/itex] as an infinite sum of the eigenstates with time evolution operator applied to it but I think there must definitely be some less clumsy way.

ii) Construct an operator [itex] Q_k [/itex] such that it only allows transitions between the states [itex] |n> [/itex] and [itex] |n \pm k > [/itex] ([itex] |n> [/itex] being the nth eigenstate of the N operator).

In this question I really did not get why the answer couldn't just be [itex] a [/itex] or [itex] a^_\dagger [/itex].

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
In (i), I think you want to use the time-dependent Schroedinger equation to replace the time derivative, after noticing that the time derivative can be applied to the bra or the ket, so you get two terms there. The action of H means the the two terms always differ by the energy difference between a level and the next higher level, so that stays fixed even as n varies. That's why it ends up a proportionality, no matter how many n's are involved in the eigenvalue expansion.

For part (ii), a single raising or lowering operator only connects to either +1 or -1, not to both +1 and -1, let alone both +k and -k. It seems like you need a net raising by k, or a net lowering by k, in whatever operator you use. Is it as simple as ak+(adag)k?

Ken G said:
Is it as simple as ak+(adag)k?

Of course this is what I meant, sorry. So I turn the question back to you. Could the answer be so trivial?

Kalidor said:
Of course this is what I meant, sorry. So I turn the question back to you. Could the answer be so trivial?

yeah sure, that is an operator that connects those states. If they just want an operator in particular then that answer the question. Here's something to think about, though. For example, suppose k=1. Then your operator is

a + a^\dagger

but how about the operator

a + a^\dagger + a^2a^\dagger + a^5 (a^\dagger)^6

these also work, right? And in general can have arbitrary complex coefficients in front of each term.

olgranpappy said:
Here's something to think about, though. For example, suppose k=1. Then your operator is

a + a^\dagger

but how about the operator

a + a^\dagger + a^2a^\dagger + a^5 (a^\dagger)^6

these also work, right? And in general can have arbitrary complex coefficients in front of each term.

For the sake of completeness. I have to say there was one last question and it asked to prove that this operator [itex] Q_k [/itex] commutes with the parity operator whenever k is even. How should I go about proving this even supposing my [itex] Q_k [/itex] is simply [itex] a^k[/itex] or [itex](a^\dagger)^k [/itex]. And would it be true?

1. What is a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

A Quantum Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion under the influence of a restoring force. It is described by the principles of quantum mechanics, which means that its energy levels are quantized and its motion is described by wavefunctions.

2. What is the significance of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator in quantum mechanics?

The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator is one of the most fundamental and widely studied systems in quantum mechanics. It serves as a model for understanding the principles of quantization, wavefunctions, and energy levels in other more complex systems.

3. How does the energy of a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator change with respect to its quantum number?

The energy of a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator is directly proportional to its quantum number. As the quantum number increases, the energy levels also increase. This is known as the energy quantization of the system.

4. Can a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator have an energy of zero?

No, a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator cannot have an energy of zero. This is because the minimum energy level, known as the zero-point energy, is always present due to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-life examples of Quantum Harmonic Oscillators?

Some examples of Quantum Harmonic Oscillators in real-life include diatomic molecules, vibrating atoms in a crystal lattice, and the motion of electrons in an atom. They can also be found in mechanical systems such as pendulums and springs.