If it ain't broke don't fix it

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the computer given by the boss is having issues with getting bogged down, but the user has found a temporary solution by hitting ctrl-alt-del and stopping the explorer process. However, this could be due to a virus or trojan, and the user should run a scan and check for any suspicious connections.
tribdog
This computer my boss gave me seems to get bogged down too easily. especially when I get online. I have to wait for about 5 minutes after connecting before I can do anything. But what I did last time I connected was hit ctrl-alt-del then stop the explorer process. This wiped out my desktop, then I started a new application and started iexplorer. Now it's running like a charm. I don't have a desktop, but everything seems to work fine. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be running the computer in this fashion, other than lack of convienience?

Computer science news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
This computer my boss gave me seems to get bogged down too easily. especially when I get online. I have to wait for about 5 minutes after connecting before I can do anything. But what I did last time I connected was hit ctrl-alt-del then stop the explorer process. This wiped out my desktop, then I started a new application and started iexplorer. Now it's running like a charm. I don't have a desktop, but everything seems to work fine. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be running the computer in this fashion, other than lack of convienience?
Sounds like a virus (trojan, actually) - run a scan and make sure the scanner is up to date. A quick way to check is to open a command prompt and type "netstat" - if you get more than a small handful of connections, its a trojan.

While it may seem like a quick and easy solution to your computer's performance issues, it is not a recommended long-term solution. By stopping the explorer process and wiping out your desktop, you are essentially bypassing important system processes and potentially causing further issues with your computer's functionality. Additionally, running your computer without a desktop can limit your ability to access certain programs and files, making it inconvenient for you to work efficiently. It is important to address the root cause of the performance issues and find a proper solution rather than relying on a temporary fix. It is always better to fix something before it becomes completely broken, rather than waiting for it to break completely.

1. Why is the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" often used in the scientific community?

The phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is often used in the scientific community because it emphasizes the importance of not making unnecessary changes or modifications to a system or process that is already functioning effectively. In science, it is crucial to carefully consider the potential consequences and risks of any changes, as they can have a significant impact on the results and validity of experiments or studies.

2. Is there ever a situation where it is appropriate to make changes even if something isn't broken?

While the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a common principle in the scientific community, there are certainly situations where it may be appropriate to make changes even if something is not broken. This could include improving efficiency or optimizing a process, as long as careful consideration and analysis is conducted to ensure that the changes will not negatively impact the overall system.

3. How does the phrase relate to the concept of experimental control?

The phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is closely related to the concept of experimental control in science. In order to accurately measure the effects of a specific variable on an experiment, it is important to keep all other variables constant. Any unnecessary changes to the experimental setup can introduce confounding variables and compromise the validity of the results.

4. What are the potential consequences of ignoring the principle of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" in scientific research?

If the principle of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is ignored in scientific research, it can lead to inaccurate or unreliable results. Changing variables or processes without careful consideration can introduce biases or confounding factors that can skew the data and make it difficult to draw accurate conclusions. It can also waste time and resources on unnecessary modifications.

5. How can scientists balance the principle of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" with the need for progress and innovation?

Balancing the principle of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" with the need for progress and innovation is a crucial aspect of scientific research. Scientists can achieve this balance by carefully evaluating the potential risks and benefits of any proposed changes and conducting thorough testing and analysis before implementing them. Collaboration and open communication within the scientific community can also help foster new ideas and advancements while maintaining a strong foundation of proven methods and processes.