Conjugation of Permutations: Finding C for CAC-1 with Same Cycle Structure

In summary, the task is to find a permutation C such that CAC-1, given two cycles A and B of length k, and to find a permutation C such that CAC-1, given that A and B have the same cycle structure. The first part involves proving that CAC-1 can be written as (C(a1)~...~C(an)), and the second part may not have an explicit solution as every possible permutation can be a C. Finding the order of a specific permutation can be done by examining the number of applications needed for each element to return to its original place, but there may be other methods as well.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Suppose A = (a1 a2 . . . ak) and B = (b1 b2 . . . bk) are two cycles of length k. Find a permutation C, such that CAC-1.

Next, suppose A and B have the same cycle structure. The question is again the same. Find a permutation C, such that CAC-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been looking at this for hours now, and I just don't seem to get it. I've also tried writing out examples, and it doesn't seem to click. I know what it's supposed to do, but I just can never find the proper permutation C. Can anyone offer any help? The homework's due tomorrow, so I'm really worried.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ryker! :smile:

I'm going to give you a hint. If [itex]A=(a_1~...~a_n)[/itex]. Can you prove that

[tex]CAC^{-1}=(C(a_1)~...~C(a_n))[/tex]

? Does this help you with what you need to prove?

Hey there, and thanks for the quick reply. I actually already had that part, so I assumed C(a1) = b1, ... , C(ak) = bk. Is this correct?

Is it then [itex]C = \begin{pmatrix} {a}_{1} & {a}_{2} & ... & {a}_{k} \\ {b}_{1} & {b}_{2} & ... & {b}_{k} \end{pmatrix} ?[/itex]

But assuming it is, I'm having loads of trouble getting that into cycle form. I probably can't just leave C as stated above, can I?

Ryker said:
Hey there, and thanks for the quick reply. I actually already had that part, so I assumed C(a1) = b1, ... , C(ak) = bk. Is this correct?

Is it then [itex]C = \begin{pmatrix} {a}_{1} & {a}_{2} & ... & {a}_{k} \\ {b}_{1} & {b}_{2} & ... & {b}_{k} \end{pmatrix} ?[/itex]

But assuming it is, I'm having loads of trouble getting that into cycle form. I probably can't just leave C as stated above, can I?

I think that's ok. Getting it into cycle form will be very hard, so I don't expect that they want you to do this. If I was your professor and I would read the above post, then I would give you full marks :smile:

You can try to get it into cycle form, but it won't be easy... (not easy = I don't think I know how to do it right now)

But is it even possible to get it in cycle form when given unknown a's and b's? I mean, you're not even given which ai = bi, so how would you turn this into cycles?

But what about the second part? I know we can decompose both A and B into cycles of same length and then we can apply C, such that, say A = CA1C-1 ° CA2C-1 ° ... ° CAkC-1, but again, how do I turn this into a characterization or description of C? The question namely asks to find such a permutation, so I figure I need to say more than just this. Any thoughts?

I don't actually think it is possible to find such an explicit C. It will be very hard to say the least.

The thing is that the C can be basically everything. Every possible permutation occurs as a C. So I don't think that giving the disjoint cycle representation is really all that necessary. What you did is probably ok.

Hmm, I see. I guess with stating only this, I kind of feel like cheating, because it seems I haven't really done anything to pinpoint that C! We've namely proven certain parts of the conjugate iff same cycle structure theorem, and these two are the remaining parts. And my elaboration then offers little additional value :smile: But I guess if you say that's fine, then I'll leave it at this. Because like I said, I've been struggling with this for hours trying to find a different way of describing C, but didn't have any success.

Oh, one last thing. Would you happen to have any hints on how to find an order of a specific permutation WITHOUT using the least common denominator of cycle orders method, and WITHOUT just applying the permutation over and over again until you reach it again? I was thinking you can just look at the what the permutation does to specific elements and how many applications are needed for each of them to come back to the original one, and then just looking at the least number at which they all "line up", i.e. the number of applications of a permutation where all elements are in their original places. But then this again feels kind of the same thing as the least common denominator thing (even though it's not cycles), so I'm not sure whether there's another way. Supposedly, there's a really short solution, so I was just wondering whether there's any other trick to establish the order.

1. What is conjugation of permutations?

Conjugation of permutations is a mathematical operation that involves changing the order of elements in a permutation by applying a specific transformation or rule. This operation is commonly used in group theory to study the properties and relationships of different permutations.

2. How is conjugation of permutations performed?

To conjugate a permutation, we first select a transformation, also known as a conjugate, and then apply this transformation to the original permutation. This results in a new permutation that has the same cycle structure as the original, but with the elements in a different order.

3. What is the purpose of conjugation of permutations?

The main purpose of conjugation of permutations is to understand and analyze the structure of permutation groups. By conjugating permutations, we can determine their conjugacy classes, which are sets of permutations that are related by conjugation and share similar properties.

4. Can any permutation be conjugated?

Yes, any permutation can be conjugated. However, the resulting permutation may not always be distinct from the original one. Some permutations are self-conjugate, meaning they remain unchanged after conjugation, while others can be conjugated to different permutations.

5. How is conjugation of permutations related to other mathematical concepts?

Conjugation of permutations is closely related to other concepts in mathematics, such as isomorphism and automorphism. Isomorphism is a relationship between two groups that have the same structure, while automorphism is a transformation that preserves the structure of a group. Conjugation can also be used to define the inner automorphisms of a group, which are the automorphisms that are induced by conjugation.