Point charge equilibrium w/ line charge problem

In summary, the problem involves a charge of 5nC located at the origin and a vertical line of charge with a length of 2 meters running from (2m,-1m) to (2m,1m). The goal is to determine the uniform linear charge density of the line charge in order for the net force on a charge placed at (5.0m, 0m) to be zero. The voltage at this point and where the voltage would be zero, aside from x = +/- (infty), are also requested. The superposition principle is used to solve the problem, with q1 being the known charge and q2 being the unknown charge. The method involves integrating the charge density of q2, with
oddlogic

Homework Statement

There is a charge located at the origin of magnitude 5nC. There exists a vertical line of charge, 2 meters in length, that runs from (2m,-1m) to (2m,1m).
a) What uniform linear charge density must this line of charge have in order that the net force on a charge placed at (5.0m, 0m) has no net force acting on it?
b) What would be the voltage at this point?
c) aside from x = +/- (infty), where (if at all) would the voltage be zero?

Q1= 5nC. I called the line charge Q2. This could be very wrong. Q3 is the unknown.

Homework Equations

F = (Q1Q2)/r^2
(delta)V = Ke(integral) dq/r
dq = (lambda)(dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I treated the line charge as a point charge by saying:
F13 - F23 = 0 (the force of 1 on three and the force of the line charge acting on 3 must be zero)

This meant that the total charge for Q2 was -1.8nC. To find rho (charge density) I just took 1.8nC and divided by 2, since that is the length of the line of charge.

part b is a little trickier but I think it must be something akin to integrating from -1 to 1 for the integral of (Ke)(dq)/(y), but that doesn't seem quite right since we have Q3 to think about and also because "r" (which in this equation is "y") changes as we go from -1 to 1, so r must be something besides just "y". Obviously, dq is now (lambda)(dy). Ke and lambda are constants, so it should just be dy/r, whatever r is. could r = [(1-y)^2 + 4]?

I have seen (and know how to solve) point charge problems on an X axis that look a lot like this, but the fact that the Q3 is unknown (and my method for solving for Q2 could be wrong) and the y integration is kind of throwing me. Help? (but not too much)

Thanks,

Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all it is important to recognise that you have just one unknown and that is q2. Think of q3 as a unit test charge. You do not need its value in this problem.

Also I think you method of calculating q2 is not quite right -- you need to perform an integration and cannot treat the line s a point charge.

Tell me how you get on.

I saw that yesterdayafternoon. So we use the superposition formula and account for all charges, in this case 2, and integrate q2. The integral should look like this?
(Lambda)*(int) dy/r^2, where r is the square root of ([1-y)^2+2^2], yes?

Thanks,

Brad

Superposition principle is the correct approach as you point out and q1 is easier. For the integral, the expression in terms of r is correct (ignoring some constants) but not r itself which should be:

y^2 + 3^2

Check that you agree by relooking at the geometry (the coordinates are in terms of (x,y) )

Hello Brad,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution for this problem. Your approach of treating the line charge as a point charge is a good start, but there are a few things that need to be corrected.

First, the total charge for Q2 should actually be +1.8nC, not -1.8nC. This is because the line charge has a positive charge density (since it is a vertical line of positive charges) and the force acting on Q3 should be repulsive, not attractive. So the equation should be F13 + F23 = 0.

Secondly, in order to find the charge density (lambda) of the line charge, you need to take the total charge (+1.8nC) and divide it by the length of the line (2m), not multiply it by the length. So lambda = +0.9nC/m.

For part b, you are on the right track with integrating for the voltage. However, the correct equation is (delta)V = Ke(integral) dq/r, where r is the distance between the point of interest (Q3) and the infinitesimal charge element (dq). In this case, r = sqrt((x-2)^2 + y^2). So the integral should be from -1m to 1m for the y component, and from -1m to 5m for the x component. The final answer should be in units of volts.

For part c, the voltage would be zero at any point along the y-axis (x=0), since there is no x-component in the equation for r. The voltage would also be zero at any point along the line charge (x=2m), since the distance between the point of interest and the line charge would be zero.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and guide you towards the correct solution. Keep up the good work!

Best,

1. What is a point charge in the context of equilibrium with a line charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that has a negligible size and is considered to be located at a single point. In the context of equilibrium with a line charge problem, this means that the point charge is assumed to be infinitely small compared to the line charge, and its location does not affect the overall distribution of charge.

2. How do you determine the equilibrium position of a point charge with respect to a line charge?

The equilibrium position of a point charge can be determined by finding the point where the electric forces from the line charge and the point charge cancel each other out. This can be done by setting the electric force equations equal to each other and solving for the distance between the charges.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium position of a point charge with respect to a line charge?

The equilibrium position of a point charge is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the charges, and the dielectric constant of the medium between the charges. These factors determine the strength of the electric forces and the resulting equilibrium position.

4. Can a point charge and a line charge ever be in equilibrium if they have opposite charges?

Yes, a point charge and a line charge with opposite charges can be in equilibrium. This can occur if the charges have equal magnitudes and are positioned at specific distances from each other. In this case, the electric forces from the charges will cancel out, resulting in equilibrium.

5. How does the equilibrium position change if the line charge is replaced with a uniformly charged rod?

If the line charge is replaced with a uniformly charged rod, the equilibrium position of the point charge will change. This is because the electric field from a uniformly charged rod is not constant, unlike that of a line charge. The resulting equilibrium position will depend on the distribution of charge on the rod and the distance between the point charge and the rod.