How to get Voltage vs. Time graph from having Current and Voltage values.

In summary, the homework problem requires the assembly of a circuit with three light bulbs in series, and data points are to be taken for the current-voltage curve starting at 10 volts and going down to 0 volts. The voltage is to be measured using multimeter #1 instead of the power supply readout. The lab also asks for a plot of the current-voltage behavior, noting any nonlinearities and comparing the "differential" resistance to the resistance measurement from part A. Finally, the lab requests a plot of voltage versus time for the RC circuit.
suntrix

Homework Statement

Make a Voltage vs. Time graph. We know the Resistance, Voltage values, and corresponding Current Values.

Homework Equations

We have data points for the voltage, which ranges from 0-10 volts, and we have the corresponding current values.

V(t) = V(0)*e^-(t/rc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was looking at equations that might help me solve this problem.

I know that V(t) = V(0)*e^-(t/rc)

rc is the time constant. But isn't RC the Resistance x the Capacitance. We had three light bulbs connected in series, so there was no capacitance. And I already solved for the resistance.

I'm just confused. Help please.
----------------------------------

If you're confused with the setup, here is the whole unedited problem.!In the following: BECAUSE OF THE POTENTIAL FOR SHOCK OR DAMAGE TO THE
ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS, YOU MUST ASSEMBLE YOUR CIRCUIT WITH ALL
MULTIMETERS AND POWER SUPPLY TURNED OFF.
! THE TA WILL INSPECT YOUR CIRCUIT, AND THE TA WILL THEN TURN ON THE
POWER SUPPLY AND MULTIMETERS.
B. Keeping in mind the important
caveats above, assemble your
components as indicated in the
figure. This arrangement
should allow you to measure
the current-voltage curve for
three light bulbs in series. You
should take data points starting
from about 10 Volts down to 0
Volts. Do not exceed 10 Volts
output from the power
supply. Since the voltage
readout on the power supply is very crude it is important to record the voltage as
measured by Multimeter #1 rather than using the power supply readout. Multimeter #2
is placed between the two light bulbs and will be set to measure current; you should use
the 200 mA maximum setting for current measurement. Record a total of 20 – 30 data
points, about 2 for each unit of voltage, and be sure to take at least four points in the
range 0.10 – 1.00 Volts.
Questions
1. Use Logger Pro or some other curve plotting program to plot the current-voltage
behavior for the three light bulbs. Note any nonlinearities in your plot. What is the
source of this nonlinearity? Is it really a breakdown of Ohm’s law?
2. Fit a smooth curve to your current-voltage data using the Logger Pro fitting function or
Matlab. From this data extract the slope of the current-voltage curve when voltage is
near zero. Compare this “differential” resistance with the result of your resistance
measurement from part A for the three light bulbs. Are the two values similar?
3. Include your plot of voltage versus time for the RC circuit.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The lab description indicates that they want a current-voltage curve, not voltage-time nor current-time. There's no timekeeping involved in the lab!

1. How do I plot a Voltage vs. Time graph from Current and Voltage values?

To plot a Voltage vs. Time graph, you need to first collect Current and Voltage values at different time intervals. Then, plot the Voltage values on the y-axis and the corresponding time values on the x-axis. This will give you a graph showing the relationship between Voltage and Time.

2. Can I use any software to plot the Voltage vs. Time graph?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can help you plot a Voltage vs. Time graph. Some popular choices include Microsoft Excel, Origin, and MATLAB. These programs have built-in tools that allow you to enter your Current and Voltage data and automatically generate a graph for you.

3. What is the importance of plotting a Voltage vs. Time graph?

A Voltage vs. Time graph is important because it can help you visualize the behavior of a circuit over time. It allows you to see how the Voltage changes in response to the changing Current values, which can provide valuable insights for analyzing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

4. What should I do if my Voltage vs. Time graph does not show a clear relationship?

If your Voltage vs. Time graph does not show a clear relationship, it could be due to incorrect data collection, faulty equipment, or a problem with the circuit itself. Make sure to double-check your data and equipment, and if the issue persists, consult an expert for further assistance.

5. Can I use the Voltage vs. Time graph to predict future behavior of the circuit?

Yes, the Voltage vs. Time graph can be used to make predictions about the future behavior of a circuit. By analyzing the trend of the graph, you can make educated guesses about how the Voltage will change in response to different Current values. However, keep in mind that this is only a prediction and may not always be accurate due to external factors affecting the circuit.