Transfer Function Mid-band Gain & Open Circuit/Short Circuit Time Constant Method

In summary, the conversation discussed a quiz on a circuit with a given transfer function. The values of R, C1, and C2 were provided and the task was to find the mid-band gain A and the values of C1 and C2. Techniques such as OCTC and SCTC were mentioned, but the use of Bode plots and looking up the network in tables as practical methods were also suggested. The conversation concluded with the suggestion to solve simultaneous equations to find the desired values.
Larrytsai
Hey guys,

I recently had a quiz on

Circuit is attached in photo below.

T(s) = (A)(s/s+20)*(s/s+200)

**All values of R in the circuit attached are 2000 ohms.
and C1>C2

a. find the mid-band gain A.

I do not know how to start this question... Can anyone give me an idea of where to start.

b. find values of C1 and C2

For this problem I got a little confused when applying OCTC and SCTC

Firstly, would 200 be my upper corner frequency? If so,

200 = 1/(Rth*Ci)

Where Rth= thevenin resistance, and Ci = the capacitor we wish to analyze the effect of the pole.

So basically, I open circuit C2 and I short circuit C1 and find the thevenin resistance from C1.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 676
Physics news on Phys.org
a: s = jw, then remember how to get the max of a function from your elementary calculus.

Actually, since the corner frequencies in this xfer fn are so far apart (10:1) you can get a close approximation of the mid-band gain by drawing the asymptotes on a Bode plot. Have you had Bode (frequency & phase) plots yet?

b: without thinking about it more, I see no other way than to actually compute the transfer function of the network, then equate the constants in the given transfer function (i.e. 20 and 200) with the corresponding terms in the computed transfer fuction & solving some simultaneous equations. Perhaps your teach showed you a neater way.

In practice one would look up the network in the appropriate tables!

Last edited:

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different input signals and can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of the system.

2. What is mid-band gain?

Mid-band gain is the gain of a system at a specific frequency, typically the center frequency of the system's operating range. It is calculated by taking the ratio of the output amplitude to the input amplitude at the frequency of interest.

3. How is the open circuit time constant method used to determine transfer function?

The open circuit time constant method is a way to determine the transfer function of a system by measuring the time it takes for the output to reach a steady state when the input is an open circuit. This time constant can then be used to calculate the transfer function.

4. What is the short circuit time constant method?

The short circuit time constant method is similar to the open circuit method, except that the input is a short circuit instead of an open circuit. This method also measures the time it takes for the output to reach a steady state and can be used to calculate the transfer function.

5. What are the advantages of using the open circuit and short circuit time constant methods?

One advantage of these methods is that they are simple and easy to perform, requiring only basic equipment such as a signal generator and an oscilloscope. They also do not require complex mathematical calculations and can provide a quick estimation of the transfer function of a system.