The electric field of two plates

In summary, the two surfaces of an aluminum sheet have the same charge distribution, but the field between the two is not present. When Gauss' Law is used to calculate the electric field between two surfaces, the field lines are perpendicular to the surface and directed either inward or outward according to the sign of sigma.
mborn
Another question for Gauss' Law;

A very large, thin, flat plate of Aluminium of area A has a total charge Q uniformly distributed over its surfaces. If the same charge is spread uniformly over the upper surface of an otherwise identical glass plate, compare the lectric fields just above the centers of the upper surface of each plate.

M B

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

my answers are;
For Al [tex]E= \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]
for Glass [tex]E= \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_o}[/tex]

Someone tell me if I am wrong, please

hhegab said:
Hi,

my answers are;
For Al [tex]E= \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]
for Glass [tex]E= \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_o}[/tex]

Someone tell me if I am wrong, please

What about Q and A?

The charge Q spreads out over both surfaces of the aluminum and there is 0 charge inside the metal. So [itex]\sigma = Q/2A[/itex]

The field of the Al sheet is [tex](E_{top} + E_{bot}) = \frac{Q/2A}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

So: [tex]E_{top} = \frac{Q/2A}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex]

For the glass plate, Q is distributed over area A (not 2A), so [itex]\sigma = Q/A[/itex]

[tex]E_{top} = \frac{Q/A}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex]

AM

hhegab's right...though I wish he hadn't spilled the solution out.

AM, I believe you have it backwards. In both cases, the surface charge density is usually defined as [itex]\sigma = Q/A [/itex]
For Al :
[tex]\vec{E} = \vec{E1} + \vec{E2} = \sigma /2 \epsilon _0 + \sigma /2 \epsilon _0 = \sigma /\epsilon _0 [/tex]
For glass, there's only the one charged surface.

Gokul43201 said:
hhegab's right...though I wish he hadn't spilled the solution out.

AM, I believe you have it backwards. In both cases, the surface charge density is usually defined as [itex]\sigma = Q/A [/itex]
For Al :
[tex]\vec{E} = \vec{E1} + \vec{E2} = \sigma /2 \epsilon _0 + \sigma /2 \epsilon _0 = \sigma /\epsilon _0 [/tex]
For glass, there's only the one charged surface.
I am not sure what you are referring to as being backwards.

[itex]\sigma = Q/2A[/itex] for Aluminum since the charge is distributed over both surfaces of the sheet. For glass [itex]\sigma = Q/A[/itex] since, as you point out, there is only one charged surface of area A.

Just substitute these values for [itex]\sigma[/itex] into your equation to get my answers.

AM

Peace,

In Serway's Physics for S&E ,6th edition, chapter 24 section 4 (conducing surfaces), when using Gauss' Law
[tex] \oint{\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A}} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]
is used, we have A as the TOTAL surface area not a surface of a particular region on the material under study. This is how I reached my answer, what do you think?

hhegab

hhegab said:
Peace,

In Serway's Physics for S&E ,6th edition, chapter 24 section 4 (conducing surfaces), when using Gauss' Law
[tex] \oint{\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A}} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]
is used, we have A as the TOTAL surface area not a surface of a particular region on the material under study. This is how I reached my answer, what do you think?
So what is your answer in terms of Q and A?

AM

[tex] \sigma = \frac{Q}{A} [/tex] in both cases;

hhegab

hhegab said:
[tex] \sigma = \frac{Q}{A} [/tex] in both cases;

hhegab
So how does that occur if the surface charge density of the top surface of the alluminum conductor is the same as the bottom surface and there is 0 field in between the two surfaces?

AM

Peace!

The field lines are perpendicular to the surface, and directed either inward or outward according to the sign of sigma, when they added (vectirially) they will give a zero field.
Also, even in the presence of a field inside the conductor, when we put it an an external elecric field, the free charges will arrange themselves on its surface in such a configuration that after about 10^-16 sec. they will cancell the originl field.

hhegab

What is the electric field of two plates?

The electric field of two plates is a concept in physics that describes the force exerted by two parallel plates on a charged particle placed between them. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force at a particular point.

How is the electric field of two plates calculated?

The electric field of two plates can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. It can also be calculated using the formula E = σ/ε₀, where σ is the surface charge density of the plates and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

What factors affect the electric field of two plates?

The electric field of two plates is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the potential difference between the plates, and the surface charge density of the plates. It is also affected by the medium between the plates and the presence of other charged particles in the vicinity.

How does the electric field of two plates impact charged particles?

The electric field of two plates can exert a force on charged particles placed between them. This force can cause the particles to move in a particular direction, depending on the direction and strength of the electric field. The electric field can also change the speed and direction of the particles' motion.

What are some real-world applications of the electric field of two plates?

The electric field of two plates has many practical applications, including in capacitors, which are used in electronic circuits to store electric charge. It is also used in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated using strong electric fields between two plates. Additionally, the electric field of two plates is utilized in electrostatic precipitators, which remove dust and pollutants from industrial exhaust gases.