Self balancing bicycle prototype using flywheel(reaction wheel)

In summary, the speaker is a level 4 mechatronics student from Mauritius working on a project for a self-balanced bicycle that uses a flywheel. They have been struggling with calculating the torque for the flywheel motor and have provided the formula they are using. They also mention the specifications for the prototype and ask for help in selecting the appropriate 12V DC motors and flywheel specifications, as well as the need for a gear box and its ratio.
ykhoody
Hello everybody,
Well I'm a level 4 mechatronics students from Mauritius and doing my project on a self balanced bicycle which uses a flywheel to achieve this.A better view of it can be seen on:

OR EVEN ON:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0312BNqIBFI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGUuuq7DOE&feature=related

During the past 3 weeks,I've been struggling on calculation of torque(flywheel motor) and I'm stuck.
I have been using the formula T=J*alpha,
where J=moment of inertia and alpha=angular acceleration.

I have assumed overall mass of prototype to be around 2.5 kg,radius of flywheel=5 cm,mass of flywheel=0.5kg,radius of driving wheel=5 cm,max permissible tilting angle=30 degrees.

Could you please help me in selecting my 12V DC motors:flywheel motor(rpm,torque)
Driving motor(rpm,torque)
and flywheel specifications(radius and mass)
and finally if gear box(reduction gear) is needed,its ratio??
Thanking you all in advance.
Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your links don't work.

Can't find the other one

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry...do not know how it changes...maybe by default...need to remove url...just edited it..

1. What is a self balancing bicycle prototype using flywheel (reaction wheel)?

A self balancing bicycle prototype using flywheel (reaction wheel) is a type of bicycle that uses a heavy spinning flywheel or reaction wheel to maintain balance while riding. The flywheel is typically located at the front or rear wheel of the bicycle and uses the principles of angular momentum to stabilize the bike.

2. How does a self balancing bicycle prototype using flywheel (reaction wheel) work?

The flywheel or reaction wheel on a self balancing bicycle prototype works by storing and releasing energy in the form of angular momentum. When the bike leans to one side, the flywheel will rotate in the opposite direction, creating a force that counteracts the lean and keeps the bike upright. This process happens in real time, making it possible for the rider to maintain balance without actively trying.

3. What are the benefits of using a self balancing bicycle prototype using flywheel (reaction wheel)?

One of the main benefits of using a self balancing bicycle prototype is that it can help prevent falls and accidents while riding. This can be especially useful for beginners or those with balance issues. Additionally, the use of a flywheel can also make riding on uneven or bumpy terrain smoother and more comfortable.

4. Are there any limitations to a self balancing bicycle prototype using flywheel (reaction wheel)?

One limitation of a self balancing bicycle prototype is that it may not work as effectively at high speeds. The flywheel relies on the rider's movements to maintain balance, so at faster speeds, the rider's movements may not be enough to counteract the lean of the bike. Additionally, the use of a heavy flywheel may make the bike heavier and more difficult to maneuver.

5. Is a self balancing bicycle prototype using flywheel (reaction wheel) available for purchase?

Currently, there are a few self balancing bicycle prototypes using flywheel available for purchase, but they are not yet widely available. These bicycles are still in the prototype phase and are being tested and improved upon by various companies and researchers. It may be some time before they are available for purchase by the general public.