X-ray diffraction: history and theory

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for a book that can teach them about reading diffraction patterns and understanding structure. They mention their background in astronomy and physics and their desire to confidently explain the topic to students. They also express interest in the history of the technique and other related techniques such as field emission microscopy. They ask for recommendations and express surprise that no one has suggested any, and suggest a solid state text as a potential option. After being informed of the multitude of books available on the topic, they ask for specific recommendations and mention that they have had success with suggestions from this forum in the past. Finally, they mention the accessibility of the book "Cullity and Stock" and express gratitude for the recommendation.
mishima
I'm looking for a book that might teach me how to read diffraction patterns and infer structure. I'm also interested in the history of the technique. This is mainly so I can explain it with confidence to high school students and college freshmen as a teacher.

I feel like I never really went into detail with this in my undergrad degree (astronomy/physics) but it crops up in a lot of intro texts across the science disciplines.

I'm sure I can tackle anything below the graduate level, and am willing to attempt lower/intro grad level treatments if you think a certain author is particularly worthwhile.

Ideally I suppose the book would also include other techniques like field emission microscopy in its historical treatment. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surprised no one has recommendations for this. How about a solid state text with a good treatment of this?

It would be easier to get more recommendations if you ask for separate books.
As for the history part, it should suffice to read it up on the web.

Regarding the technical part, a quick search on Amazon.com turned up the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...5c922c50a2b226ea444978e3441&tag=pfamazon01-20There seems to be many detailed texts on the topic.

Hello, thanks for responding. I was aware of the multitude of books out there, and that's kind of the problem. I was just looking for specific recommendations of good ones. This forum usually has recommendations that I end up being very pleased with. Granted, they somewhat follow the "star" ratings on amazon as you listed, but not always.

Cullity and Stock is very accessible. I've heard rumblings that there are problems with the newest edition, though I wouldn't know firsthand since I still use the older one.

Thank you, the first half of this was exactly what I was looking for.

1. How was X-ray diffraction discovered?

X-ray diffraction was discovered in 1912 by a German physicist named Max von Laue. He was studying the effects of X-rays on crystals and observed that when X-rays were passed through a crystal, they created a distinct pattern of spots on a photographic plate. This discovery laid the foundation for the field of X-ray crystallography.

2. What is the theory behind X-ray diffraction?

The theory behind X-ray diffraction is based on the idea that X-rays are electromagnetic waves with a wavelength that is similar to the spacing between atoms in a crystal lattice. When X-rays pass through a crystal, they are diffracted or scattered by the atoms in the lattice, producing a diffraction pattern that can be analyzed to determine the arrangement of atoms in the crystal.

3. How has X-ray diffraction been used in scientific research?

X-ray diffraction has been used in a wide range of scientific research, including determining the structures of molecules, proteins, and other complex biological compounds. It has also been used in materials science to study the atomic and molecular structure of crystals, minerals, and other solid materials. X-ray diffraction has also been used in fields such as geology, chemistry, and physics to gain insight into the properties and behavior of various substances.

4. Who were the key figures in the development of X-ray diffraction theory?

In addition to Max von Laue, the key figures in the development of X-ray diffraction theory include William Henry Bragg and his son William Lawrence Bragg. The Braggs were a father-son team who developed the Bragg equation, which describes the relationship between X-ray diffraction angles and the spacing between atoms in a crystal lattice. Other notable scientists who made contributions to the theory of X-ray diffraction include Paul Peter Ewald, Dorothy Hodgkin, and Rosalind Franklin.

5. How has X-ray diffraction technology evolved over time?

X-ray diffraction technology has evolved significantly since its discovery in 1912. In the early years, X-ray diffraction experiments were conducted using photographic film and manually operated equipment. Today, X-ray diffraction machines use digital detectors and computer software to collect and analyze diffraction data. This has greatly improved the speed and accuracy of X-ray diffraction experiments, making it an essential tool in many areas of scientific research and industry.