Determine the moment of inertia of the wheel

In summary, the moment of inertia of the wheel and axle can be determined using the work-energy theorem, where the work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy. By plugging in the values for torque and angular displacement, and using integration to find the mass, we can solve for the moment of inertia without needing to know the radius of the wheel. The resulting value is 1/2 times the mass times the radius squared.
skysunsand

Homework Statement

A cord 3.0 m long is coiled around the axle of a wheel. The cord is pulled with a constant force of 40N. When the cord leaves the axle, the wheel is rotating at 2.0 rev/s. Determine the moment of inertia of the wheel and axle. Neglect friction. (Hint: The easiest solution is by the energy method)

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 I w^2
I= Mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost. I don't have a mass to work with, so I can't use these equations. But then I have no clue what equation I WOULD use. I know the answer is 1.5kg*m^2, but I have no clue where that comes from.
Ideally, I think I'd like the radius of the wheel, but I'm not told how many times that cord is wrapped around the wheel, so I can't use the circumference to find the radius...

Physics news on Phys.org
skysunsand said:

Homework Statement

A cord 3.0 m long is coiled around the axle of a wheel. The cord is pulled with a constant force of 40N. When the cord leaves the axle, the wheel is rotating at 2.0 rev/s. Determine the moment of inertia of the wheel and axle. Neglect friction. (Hint: The easiest solution is by the energy method)

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 I w^2
I= Mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost. I don't have a mass to work with, so I can't use these equations. But then I have no clue what equation I WOULD use. I know the answer is 1.5kg*m^2, but I have no clue where that comes from.
Ideally, I think I'd like the radius of the wheel, but I'm not told how many times that cord is wrapped around the wheel, so I can't use the circumference to find the radius...

The work-energy theorem says that the work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy. For rotation under constant torque, the work done is W = τΔθ, where Δθ is the total angular displacement.

The distance Δs, traveled by any point on the circumference of the wheel must be equal to rΔθ. However, it must also be equal to the length of rope that was unwound, and hence Δs = rΔθ = 3.0 m. So anyway, the work energy-theorem says that:[tex]\tau \Delta \theta = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 [/tex]I think you'll find that if you plug in τ = rF and Δθ = Δs/r, then you'll find that it is not necessary to know r. You should be able to solve for I in terms of the other known quantities.

use intergration!

I=mr^2
and m= m/A * 2 pai r * dr (m/A= mass/area)
Intergrate mr^2 which is m/A * 2 pai r * dr * r^2
you will get 1/2 mr^2

What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as angular mass or rotational inertia.

What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the object and the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia different from mass and weight?

Moment of inertia is a rotational property of an object, while mass and weight are related to an object's linear motion. Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a wheel?

The moment of inertia of a wheel depends on its mass, distribution of mass, and axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

Why is determining the moment of inertia of a wheel important?

Determining the moment of inertia of a wheel is important in understanding its rotational dynamics and its performance in different situations. It is also essential in designing and engineering machines and vehicles that involve rotational motion.