How Do You Calculate the Maximum Vertical Height on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the maximum vertical height reached by a block sliding down a curved track and up an inclined plane. The block has a mass of m and the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline is μk = 0.30. Using energy methods, the maximum vertical height can be found by setting up an equation using the given variables of θ = 45° and h = 0.65 m. However, there seems to be some confusion about the variables and parameters involved in the problem and further direction is sought in order to complete the solution.
Arty
Determining maximum vertical height

A block slides down a curved frictionless track and then up an inclined plane. The mass of the block is the point mass m. The coefficient of friction between the block and the incline is μk = 0.30 Use energy methods to find the maximum vertical height up the plane that the block reaches for θ = 45°, and h = 0.65 m.

Mgymax = mgh-Wfk
Mgymax = mgh- μkCos θ ∆x
ymax = h- μkCos θ ∆x

This is about how far I have come. Not sure if it is right though.

I am not sure if ∆x should actually be ∆y or if either should be in the problem.

I am seeking a direction on what to do next to complete this problem. I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that something is missing from your description of the problem ... presumably [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle of the inclined plane to the vertical (or is it horizontal?); but what's h?

Well i suppose that theta is the angle of the incline with the horizontal. Let's suppose that h is the vertical height from which we start on the curved trajectory...

At the point where the incline starts we have from energy-conservation :

[tex]mgh = \frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]

Then we move up the plane until vertical distance [tex]h_{max}[/tex]

energyconservation yields :
[tex]\frac{mv^2}{2} = mgh_{max} - {\mu}N{\Delta p}[/tex] Where the delta p denotes the traveled distance of the object ON the inclined plane. ofcourse, using trigon. we know that [tex]h_{max} = \Delta p * sin(45)[/tex] so we can eliminate delta p and write all as a function of h_max...

But personally i think that there should be a least one parameter that you can vary in order to solve the extremum-problem...you sure about this question...

regards
marlon

Not to pick nits, but ...

Is that vertical height as opposed to horizontal height? :wink:

1. What is maximum vertical height?

Maximum vertical height refers to the highest point reached by an object or projectile when it is thrown or launched vertically into the air.

2. How is maximum vertical height calculated?

The maximum vertical height can be calculated by using the equation h = (v^2 * sin^2(theta)) / 2g, where h is the maximum vertical height, v is the initial velocity, theta is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the maximum vertical height?

The maximum vertical height is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the gravitational force of the Earth.

4. How is maximum vertical height different from maximum height?

Maximum vertical height specifically refers to the highest point reached when an object is launched or thrown vertically, while maximum height can refer to the highest point reached in any direction.

5. Why is maximum vertical height important in physics?

Maximum vertical height is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects in freefall and the effects of gravity. It is also a key factor in determining the range and trajectory of projectiles.