Measuring curvature of space around a star

In summary: Because the speed of light is not constant (assuming strong gravity). The closest physical analog to radial proper distance would be a plumb line of extremely high tensile strength. Of course, if you know the geometry, you could mathematically convert round trip light time to geodesic distance.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am wondering how space geographers would measure curvature of space around a large isolated star. i am thinking of the set up where there are two nearby spheres surrounding the star whose circumferences are already known. The remaining step is to measure the length of a radial geodesic segment connecting the two spheres. This it seems would give measurements in geodesic polar coordinates and would allow the computation of curvature using the usual formulas.

How then does one find a geodesic ray and the measure its length?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't radial coordinate lines (t=theta=phi=0, SC coordinates) outside the horizon spacelike geodesics? It looks like this should be so from the geodesic equations, and it seems this is regularly assumed. Then you just integrated the line element along r, with all other coords held to zero.

Am I missing what you are asking?

PAllen said:
Aren't radial coordinate lines (t=theta=phi=0, SC coordinates) outside the horizon spacelike geodesics? It looks like this should be so from the geodesic equations, and it seems this is regularly assumed. Then you just integrated the line element along r, with all other coords held to zero.

Am I missing what you are asking?

yes you are right. I was asking an empirical question, How does the space geographer find the radial geodesic physically? And how does he measure the distance between the spheres with instruments? Suppose he is standing on one of the spheres and the other one is some large structure. Does he use light and mirrors? Does he drop a plumb line? does he drop a stone and measure how long it takes for the stone to land?

Note, there are other more complex spacelike geodesics, but I assume those are not relevant.

Also, note that a free faller using GP coordinated can foliate a region of spacetime such that the spatial slices are exactly Euclidean flat for the induced metric. Then, all curvature would only be seen by involving time.

lavinia said:
yes you are right. I was asking an empirical question, How does the space geographer find the radial geodesic physically? And how does he measure the distance between the spheres with instruments? Suppose he is standing on one of the spheres and the other one is some large structure. Does he you light and mirrors. Does he drop a plumb line? does he drop a stone and measure how long it takes for the stone to land?

For a radial, spacelike geodesic, for static foliation, a plumb line would be the physical analog.

PAllen said:
Note, there are other more complex spacelike geodesics, but I assume those are not relevant.

Also, note that a free faller using GP coordinated can foliate a region of spacetime such that the spatial slices are exactly Euclidean flat for the induced metric. Then, all curvature would only be seen by involving time.
Provided the star does not rotate.
Closest to GP coordinates for a rotating star is the Doran metric.

Passionflower said:
Provided the star does not rotate.
Closest to GP coordinates for a rotating star is the Doran metric.

Yes, I assumed the star was not rotating (which is obviously absurd in the real world). If it were rotating, then a radial line (in typical coordinates) would not be (exactly) a spacelike geodesic, and there wouldn't be a unique static foliation (because the spacetime is not static).

PAllen said:
For a radial, spacelike geodesic, for static foliation, a plumb line would be the physical analog.

I can see why the plumb line would find the direction of the radial geodesic. But wouldn't it stretch and give an answer that is too small? Why wouldn't one use the plumb line to first find the radial direction but use reflected light beamed in the radial direction to measure the distance?

lavinia said:
I can see why the plumb line would find the direction of the radial geodesic. But wouldn't it stretch and give an answer that is too small? Why wouldn't one use the plumb line to first find the radial direction but use reflected light beamed in the radial direction to measure the distance?

Because the speed of light is not constant (assuming strong gravity). The closest physical analog to radial proper distance would be a plumb line of extremely high tensile strength.

Of course, if you know the geometry, you could mathematically convert round trip light time to geodesic distance.

You could use roundtrip light time * c as a radial distance coordinate directly. You just can't assume it measures proper distance.

1. How is the curvature of space around a star measured?

The curvature of space around a star can be measured using the principles of general relativity. This involves observing the effects of the star's mass on the surrounding space, such as gravitational lensing and the bending of light.

2. What tools or instruments are used to measure the curvature of space around a star?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to measure the curvature of space around a star, including telescopes, interferometers, and gravitational wave detectors. These tools allow for precise measurements of the effects of space-time curvature caused by the star's mass.

3. How does the curvature of space around a star affect the motion of objects?

The curvature of space around a star can affect the motion of objects in its vicinity. This is because the mass of the star causes a distortion in space-time, which can alter the paths of objects moving through it. This effect is most notable in the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies around the star.

4. Can the curvature of space around a star change over time?

Yes, the curvature of space around a star can change over time. This can occur due to changes in the mass of the star, as well as the presence of other massive objects in the vicinity. However, these changes are typically very small and can only be measured using precise instruments.

5. How does the curvature of space around a star relate to the concept of gravity?

The curvature of space around a star is intimately related to the concept of gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects like stars cause a curvature in space-time, which is what we experience as the force of gravity. The stronger the curvature of space, the stronger the force of gravity will be.