Generating light through AC?

• Thread starter lluke9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating light through an alternating current, considering that light is an electromagnetic wave. While it may be theoretically possible, the technology to do so does not currently exist. The conversation also touches on the potential use of wires and the effect on metal transmitters at higher frequencies.
lluke9
Is this even possible? Since light is an electromagnetic wave, creating an alternating current will create fluctuations of electric and magnetic field and will... make light?

I highly doubt this is possible, but I thought it was worth asking to see why it CAN'T happen.

Science news on Phys.org
lluke9 said:
Is this even possible? Since light is an electromagnetic wave, creating an alternating current will create fluctuations of electric and magnetic field and will... make light?

I highly doubt this is possible, but I thought it was worth asking to see why it CAN'T happen.
Visible light is in the range of 300 THz. So, if it is feasible for EHF, which is in the 300 GHz range, I bet it should also somehow be possible for light.

I don't think you would be able to use wires to conduct the current; I guess would have to be by manipulating electrons in the vacuum. Perhaps if you give them a high enough energy and submit them to a huge magnetic field, that will create electromagnetic waves that could reach visible range.

Last edited:
It's possible but we don't have the technology to do it.

Interesting. I'm wondering what the effect on the metal transmitter would be. Does higher frequency have different amounts of resistance or inductance or anything? (My knowledge of electronics is lacking to say the least)

While it may seem intuitive that creating an alternating current would generate light, the reality is that the process of generating light is much more complex. In order for light to be created, energy must be released in the form of photons, which are particles of light. This process is typically achieved through the use of specialized materials or devices, such as light bulbs or LEDs.

While alternating current does involve the creation of electric and magnetic fields, these fields alone are not enough to generate light. The creation of light requires a specific energy transfer process that is not possible with just an alternating current. Additionally, the frequency and intensity of the electric and magnetic fields in an AC current are not suitable for creating light.

In summary, while alternating current is an important aspect of our electrical systems, it is not capable of generating light on its own. The process of generating light requires specialized materials and energy transfer mechanisms that are not present in an AC current.

1. How does AC generate light?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electric current that changes direction periodically. When it flows through a light bulb, it heats up a filament inside, causing it to emit light. This process is known as thermal radiation and is the basis for generating light through AC.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC for generating light?

DC (direct current) is a type of electric current that flows in only one direction, while AC flows in both directions. The main difference in terms of generating light is that AC is able to produce a more consistent and efficient flow of electricity, resulting in brighter and longer-lasting light.

3. Can AC generate different colors of light?

Yes, AC can generate different colors of light by using different materials for the filament inside the light bulb. For example, a tungsten filament produces a yellowish-white light, while a carbon filament produces a warmer, orange light. Different gases can also be used to create different colors, such as neon for a bright red light or argon for a blue light.

4. How does the frequency of AC affect the light produced?

The frequency of AC, which is measured in hertz (Hz), refers to the number of times the current changes direction per second. Higher frequencies result in a higher rate of thermal radiation, producing brighter light. However, too high of a frequency can cause the filament to overheat and burn out quickly.

5. Is AC the only way to generate light?

No, AC is not the only way to generate light. Other methods include DC, which is commonly used in LED lights, and gas discharge, which is used in fluorescent and neon lights. Additionally, light can also be generated through chemical reactions, such as in glow sticks, or through the use of lasers.