Problem with Diffraction Grating Equation (results do not match theory)

In summary, the conversation discusses the grating equation and its application in predicting the angle of deviation for diffraction patterns. The results obtained from a diffraction grating with 600 slits per mm and 100 slits per mm do not match the predicted results, leading to the question of whether the information about the number of slits per mm is accurate. The conversation also mentions trying different light sources and asking for guidance on the issue.
MnFeCo
Hi.

The grating equation says n x λ = d sinθ. Where d = 1/N (the nymber of slits per unit length.)

Using the equation and solving for a grating with large number of slits gives the result that the diffraction pattern should have a greater angle of deviation from central maximum for gratings with for example 600 slits per mm compared to 100 slits per mm.

I have a diffraction grating just like the above described. Using a green monochromatic led source I observe the patterns for the 600 slits per mm versus the 100 slits per mm.

I get completely opposite results to the theory. The 600 slits per mm grating gives a sharp well defined pattern but it is compressed into a small zone (not spread out).

Whereas the 100 slits per mm grating gives the very opposite. It has a wider diffraction pattern, much more spread out.

What is it that I am not seeing or doing wrong?

Because according to the n x Lambda = d sin theta we can arrange and get
:--> sinθ = n x λ / d
which for small d (large number of slits) gives a large theta angle.

But as I said, it does not do that in practice though it says so in theory.

Please guide/help me out on this.

Much appreciate any help offered.

Thank You

Science news on Phys.org
What you say is correct and I would doubt the information given about the gratings.how do you know that they do have 100 and 600 lines per mm?
Are you sure it is NOT 1000 lines per mm

1. What is the Diffraction Grating Equation and how does it work?

The Diffraction Grating Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the wavelength of light, the distance between the slits on a grating, and the angle at which the light diffracts. It is based on the principles of diffraction and interference and is used to calculate the angles at which different wavelengths of light will diffract from the grating.

2. Why might the results from the Diffraction Grating Equation not match the theoretical predictions?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is experimental error, such as imprecise measurements or flaws in the grating itself. Additionally, the Diffraction Grating Equation is based on idealized conditions and may not accurately account for real-world factors such as the finite size of the slits or the effects of light polarization.

3. How can I improve the accuracy of my results when using the Diffraction Grating Equation?

To improve the accuracy of your results, it is important to carefully control for experimental variables and minimize sources of error. This may include using more precise measuring equipment, ensuring the grating is of high quality, and taking multiple measurements to account for any variations.

4. Are there any alternative equations or methods that can be used to calculate diffraction patterns?

Yes, there are alternative equations that can be used to calculate diffraction patterns, such as the Fraunhofer diffraction equation or the Rayleigh-Sommerfeld diffraction equation. These equations may be more accurate in certain situations, but they also have their own limitations and assumptions.

5. Can the Diffraction Grating Equation be applied to other types of waves besides light?

Yes, the Diffraction Grating Equation can be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves. However, the equation may need to be modified to account for the different properties of these waves, such as their wavelength and speed of propagation.