Are Twin Turbos on a 4 Cylinder Engine Worth it for High Performance?

In summary, a 4 cylinder engine with twin turbos might not be the best choice because it won't provide enough engine gas to spin two turbos.
KidWonder
Hey Guys, I'm fairly new to this forum.

I would just like to know is their a way to allow for a four cylinder engine to produce for more engine gas to spin 2 turbos. As I researched on forced induction, I've found that Twin turbos on a four cylinder might be one turbo too many, though I imagine the spin-up (lag free) benefits of two teensy, weensy turbos might be there as on a bigger motor. I'm in High School, and planning on studying Mechanical Engineering at Ohio State, then start a car company(not likely).

Thanks Guys
God Bless

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome fellow Buckeye
I do not know but would recommend you research the Offenhauser 4 cylinder engine that was refined to the ultimate 4 cylinder thru Indy years as a start.
rm

From Subaru
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2909/81/32270040002_large.jpg

Look up what people do to their road/rally cars from Subaru and Mitsubishi. There are countless sites and threads from people who have twin blown their 4 bangers. However, why would you want to? On a small 4 banger, you certainly won't need that much boost and you'll have to figure out other stuff before you can drive it. Simply slapping on a couple turbos doesn't make a fast car. A good GT40 turbo will provide plenty of air to a 4 cylinder. Single turbos also spool quicker and require a lot less engine modification inside the small engine bay of a 4 cyl. car.

Twin turbo systems would be classed as an odd choice for a performance small 4 cylinder engine used for automotive use. Twin turbos are (in general) phasing out due to modern turbine development of multi-vane or variable-nozzle turbines which allow for a single turbine to operate over a far wider range of exhaust gas flow rate than was possible twenty years ago, therefore applications which would have been twin turbo to achieve a usable power-band all round have been phased out to multi-vane or variable nozzle single turbocharger applications which offer inherently less frictional losses and complexity. That being said, twin turbochargers are still used on some flat-plane V8's and Boxer configurations as each bank of cylinders opperates a separate exhaust system.

Frosteh said:
Simply slapping on a couple turbos doesn't make a fast car. A good GT40 turbo will provide plenty of air to a 4 cylinder. Single turbos also spool quicker and require a lot less engine modification inside the small engine bay of a 4 cyl. car.

I don't know if this irony or not.

What is a twin turbo 4 cylinder engine?

A twin turbo 4 cylinder engine is a type of engine that has two turbochargers attached to the four cylinders. The turbochargers help to compress the air that enters the cylinders, resulting in increased power and efficiency.

What are the advantages of a twin turbo 4 cylinder engine?

The main advantage of a twin turbo 4 cylinder engine is that it can produce more power than a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine of the same size. It also offers better fuel efficiency and lower emissions compared to larger engines.

How does a twin turbo 4 cylinder engine work?

A twin turbo 4 cylinder engine works by using two turbochargers to compress the air that enters the cylinders. This compressed air allows for more fuel to be injected, resulting in a more powerful combustion and increased power output.

What vehicles use a twin turbo 4 cylinder engine?

Twin turbo 4 cylinder engines are commonly used in high-performance vehicles, such as sports cars and luxury sedans. They can also be found in some trucks and SUVs.

What are the potential drawbacks of a twin turbo 4 cylinder engine?

One potential drawback of a twin turbo 4 cylinder engine is that it may require more maintenance compared to a naturally aspirated engine. The added complexity of the turbochargers can also lead to higher repair costs. Additionally, the increased power output may result in reduced fuel efficiency if the engine is not tuned properly.