Determine whether f is even, odd, or neither?

• Thread starter akt223
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the conversation was about different types of functions and their definitions. The individual functions given were f(x) = 2x^5 - 3x^2 +2, f(x) = x^3 - x^7, f(x) = (1-x^2)/(1+x^2), and f(x) = 1/(x+2). The definition of even and odd functions was also mentioned, with f(-x) = f(x) being an even function and f(-x) = -f(x) being an odd function. It was also noted that rational functions are even if all exponents of x are even and odd if all exponents of x are odd. It was also pointed out
akt223
I've tried looking through my book to see how to do these, but I just can't find it. Any help would be appreciated:

1) f(x) = 2x^5 - 3x^2 +2

2) f(x) = x^3 - x^7

3) f(x) = (1-x^2)/(1+x^2)

4) f(x) = 1/(x+2)

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the definition of an even and an odd function is as follows:

[tex] f(-x) = f(x) [/tex] is and even function and

[tex] f(-x) = -f(x) [/tex] is an odd function.

Alright, I think I get it, thanks.

It is also true (easy to prove) that a rational function (polynomial or quotient of polynomials) is even if and only if all exponents of x are even, odd if and only if all exponents of x are odd.

Of course, functions don't always have "exponents"! sin(x) is an odd function and cos(x) is an even function.

Of course, functions don't always have "exponents"! sin(x) is an odd function and cos(x) is an even function.

But the series expansions precisely consist of only odd-numbered and only even-numbered polynomial terms, respectively. It's quite elegant.

1. What does it mean for a function to be even, odd, or neither?

When we say a function is even, it means that it has symmetry about the y-axis. This means that if we reflect the graph of the function across the y-axis, it will remain unchanged. On the other hand, a function is odd if it has rotational symmetry of 180 degrees about the origin. This means that if we rotate the graph of the function by 180 degrees, it will remain unchanged. A function is considered neither even nor odd if it does not exhibit either of these symmetries.

2. How can I determine if a function is even, odd, or neither?

To determine the symmetry of a function, we can use the algebraic definition. A function f is even if f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x. This means that if we replace x with -x in the function, the resulting value will be the same as if we had used x. Similarly, a function f is odd if f(-x) = -f(x) for all values of x. If neither of these conditions are met, then the function is neither even nor odd.

3. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. This is because the definitions of even and odd functions are mutually exclusive. A function must satisfy one condition or the other, but not both.

4. What is the significance of determining if a function is even, odd, or neither?

Determining the symmetry of a function can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its graph. For example, we know that an even function will have a minimum or maximum at the origin, while an odd function will have a point of inflection. This information can also be useful in solving equations involving the function and in finding patterns and relationships between different functions.

5. Can a function be both even or odd and neither?

No, a function cannot be both even or odd and neither. If a function satisfies the conditions for being even or odd, it cannot also satisfy the condition for being neither. However, a function can be neither even nor odd and still exhibit some symmetry, such as symmetry about a different axis or an even or odd interval.